Clear all

perfect pitch instructional cds

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@antny)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

has anyone tried the perfect pitch training course advertised in the guitar magazines. is it legit and does it work. I am always wary of ads that make things sound to simple.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't think anyone is too willing to stump up that amount of cash on the off chance that it will work. Too many people have invested in lunar green cheese farms......

Perhaps Mr Perfect Pitch could be persuaded to make a full course available to a GN member to road test it (metaphorically speaking of course) and write a review of the results.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah that's the idea. It sounds interesting but a sure thing sounds better at that price. I don't believe it can be as easy and fast as they say, but it seems like it might work. Anyway I don't want to be the guinea pig but if you ever hear or find any reviews (unsolicited of course, ha ha) then it would be gret if someone would post it. thanks for the reply

ReplyQuote
(@dfarmer)

We should start a paypal fund and everyone who is curious chips in 1 buck and then when we have enough money we buy it someone selected by GN or vote reviews it.  :P

Don't Ask, Practice! - Philip Sudo Zen Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sounds good if everyone goes forit, I don't know that they will though. Maybe if someone with some credibility from a reputable media outlet (i.e. people who run guitar noise, or any magazine) can request a free sample in order to rate it and give free exposure. If they have confidence in their product they should. If not I wonder.

ReplyQuote
(@dfarmer)

Ok, I'm doing the perfect pitch program. (The things I do for you guys), erm.. I'm 2 or 3 CDs in and it is an intriguing idea and I can even see how it could work (and I just finished my anatomy & physiology test on special senses).

Anyway my initial feeling is that it's crazy....so crazy it just might work! But it HAS NOT worked for me yet; I'll let you guys know in a few weeks if it actually works or if it's just a nice idea. One thing is for sure...he likes to hear himself talk *sigh*

-Dan

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for replying on this issue.  I really hope it works for you but either way I would like to know what it is about so let us know when you are finished. good luck and thanks again. by the way, about liking to hear himself alot, you can kind of get that idea just by reading the add i the mags. kinda like Tony little you know the ski machine guy.sound kinda similar, on paper anyway

ReplyQuote
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

I bought one of these from Ebay (gave it to my freind for a present) and we worked on it together and it dose work, not fast thought and its shure as hell not as easy as they say. It tolk almost 2 months to get progress

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
(@dfarmer)

Well I've been working at it for awhile and here are my observations.

• It does work...sort of

• It's not as useful as you think

• It's probably not worth the money
  • Point number two is the most important, although I've learned to recognize tones better (not to a level where anyone would say I have perfect pitch) I've discovered something. Perfect pitch is no where near as useful as relative pitch. Maybe if you want to tune up very quickly it is but honestly if you're going to figure out a tune "by ear" you are using relative pitch not perfect pitch. I checked out some studies (not the ones linked from perfect pitch website) and what they've discovered is that relative pitch and perfect pitch use different parts of your brain and are almost completely unrelated (other than they are both types of hearing.)

I'd say try to find it on ebay if you're really curious otherwise save your money for some sort of material on relative pitch.

-Dan

ReplyQuote
    (@samer_sultan)
    Eminent Member

For me perfect pitch is useful becuase i also sing (for school) , and its good to know what key you are in with out going to a keyboard.

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
    (@anonymous)
    Illustrious Member

First of all thanks for getting back on this topic. I really appreciate your opinions. I was concerned wether they covered relative pitch or not and ya I would agree that this would be really helpful with guitar playing. Personaly I can find a single pitch pretty quick but when it's played against something that is a different story. Anyway, it sounds like it works with time but I don't know if it is worth the money for me. Seemed like a useful idea for feeling a little more comfortable playing and less thinking.  

ReplyQuote
    (@Anonymous)

Hey anmpunk why don't you just register? You post here all the time. And its not like it costs any money.

ReplyQuote
    (@anonymous)
    Illustrious Member

I've been away for awhile so I just now saw this post. How do I find my password again. I actually am a member I just never sign in.

ReplyQuote