Skip to content
Rush at Red Rocks (...

Notifications
Clear all

Rush at Red Rocks (Denver, Colorado, USA)

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I saw Rush perform at Red Rocks last night. Obviously it was a very good show - they have been doing it for a LONG time and have it DOWN. They played a nice mix of old and new stuff.

Here is an interesting note - Alex Lifeson exclusively played Gibson Les Paul Standards all night. Some looked to be equipped with a Floyd Rose, while others looked stock. Of course, he did also play an acoustic, a 12 string acoustic and a mandolin too. Couldn't catch any of the brands or models on them though. I have seen them several times over the years, but don't recall Alex Lifeson only using Les Pauls for his electric work. I wonder if he has an endorsement deal now?

I also took my two boys: Shawn (11) and Matthew (8). Both were amazed at the show and now want me to take them to more shows!

rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

I saw them in No. VA at the Nissan Pavilion. they were fantastic!

I noticed the Les Paul deal as well. Then, I read in one of my magazines (Guitar World or Player) that he plans on doing that from now on. He says it isn't an endorsement deal, he mentioned something about Geddy saying, "You sound your absolute best when playing the Les Paul." So, he's going to do that from now on.

(:

-Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If you can, let me know exactly which magazine and issue - I'd like to read it.

Here are some pictures:

First is both my boys, Matthew 8 years old (aspiring guitarist) & Shawn 11 years old (drummer and bass player), about an hour before the show. Downtown Denver is way off in the distance, on the left side of the picture, but not really visible.

Here is Shawn, during the first song (Limelight):

And, Matthew, during the same song:

ReplyQuote
 rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

COo.oOL kids. I can't wait for mine to be old enough to enjoy Rush... One is 2 and the other is in the oven!

(:

Geddy might be in a wheel chair by then...

Anyway, I will check the magazine tonight and get back to ya.

-Rip

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The show at Shoreline Amphitheatre in the SF Bay Area on August 1st was also excellent. Geddy seemed to have a little bit of a smaller vocal range on some of the songs. Also, what was going on with the chef guy and the 3 big ovens behind Alex and Geddy? What was in the ovens? One of the tours in the 80ss they had a giant dryer from which they would pull out t-shirts to throw into the audience.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just their attempt at a stage prop and humor. From where I was sitting, they looked like rotisserie chickens in the "ovens."

ReplyQuote
 rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

Sorry for the delay... I went through all of my Guitar Player and Guitar World issues, before realizing it is in Guitar One. It was the June 2007 issue and Alex is on the cover. Here is the quote:

"Geddy's been driving me crazy for years now saying, 'You should only ever have a Les Paul in your hands.' "
If you can, let me know exactly which magazine and issue - I'd like to read it.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Rip!

ReplyQuote