Clear all

Umphrey's McGee

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I caught this band Friday night, November 30, in Columbus, Ohio at the LIfestyles (Promowest) pavilion.

Fantastic musicianship. Six musicians: Two guitarists (both playing lead), bass (frankly, one of the best bassists I've come across); keyboardist, drummer, and percussionist.

At any rate, if you don't know them, they're part of the "jam band" phenomenon. I found their music really engaging because the jams weren't really the kind of meandering jam that such bands often play. They were focused with a clear progressive rock influence and jams where the underlying structure of the improvisation made itself manifest as the instrumental unfolded. I think Rolling Stone had it right when they suggested they were jams "with a destination". At any rate, the sheer quality of the musicianship, including frequent tricky harmony lead playing between the two lead guitarists, makes them worth your consideration. I suppose Phish is the band that jam band afficiandos most often use as a base for comparison nowadays. I found Umphrey's McGee's music to have significantly more substance than Phish's jams -- leaner, funkier, and a bit more cerebral might be a way to describe it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Love their stuff. I've have mostly all of their music. You are correct. They are excellent musicians.
Did they play "Bullhead City"? That's one of my fav songs by them. Also like a song called "Believe the Lie"

If you liked them, you should also check out a band called "Moe." Same kind of thing...jam band roots but their music is very sophisticated/complicated. Not just jamming for jamming sake.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Actually the lead guitarist from Moe joined them and jammed for a while, sitting in for one of the guitarists (the heavier guy). Unfortunately, I don't know all their song titles, but the set list is up on their website. You're right, I should check Moe out.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Being a jamband entheusiast, I'm very familiat with both Umphrey's and moe. Ditto the good words about both!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Tea Leaf Green is another

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote