Skip to content
Can i tune my guita...

Notifications
Clear all

Can i tune my guitar to make my voice nicer?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trunkzilla)
Topic starter  

My voice is rubbish and will always be rubbish. Sounds strained. Unnatural and well crap. This is sumin i got to accept. and i aint going to find a singing teacher cause im just not.

Is there a way of tuning your guitar to match your voice ?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Umm - the obvious answer is, "tune your guitar so it's horrendously out of tune - that way, no one'll ever notice your shortcomings in the vocal department." That's worked for me for about 5 years.....no, I'm joking.

A better answer would be along the lines of, you really aren't as bad as you think you are - you can sing. Or at least, with practise, you can learn to sing. Once you find out the full range of your voice, you can always transpose songs to a key that's suited to your range - or, buy a capo, that'll save you the bother of transposing in a lot of cases.

Example - you want to learn a song, say, "Stand By Me." The original uses A, F#m, D and E. It's a fairly simple matter to transpose those chords to G, Em, C and D - and a lot easier to play. But just suppose the perfect chords for your voice were Bb, Gm, Ebm and F? Those chords are a lot harder to play for a relative newcomer to guitar - but with a capo, you can stick said capo on at the third fret, and play G Em C and D chord shapes which will sound like Bb, Gm, Ebm and F chords.

I'm a great believer in keeping things simple - that's why I'll always look for an easy way to play a song. In time, and with practise, you'll do the same - and you'll learn that your voice is unique, all you have to do is find the right way to use it.

Oh, and welcome to Guitarnoise! Stick around, we're a friendly bunch of folks - we'll find the positives rather than the negatives. This is a "glass half-full" site, not a "glass half-empty" site!"

All the best,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trunkzilla)
Topic starter  

i tried that and i think i just have a bad voice. think its too deep

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There are some useful basic voice lessons online. Expert Village has a bunch and I use this collection from Larissa Lam every once in a while to make sure I don't sound as bad as I know I can.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/49279_voice-tips-oversinging.htm

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Vic and Alan have given two very good suggestions. First learn the basics of singing, you can do it on line. Then sing sing sing. there's nothing like practice. I sing everywhere I go, I've got a 40 minute commute to work and I sing every song that plays on the radio. Also never sing with headphones on or earbuds, everybody around you will be greatful. And that capo is the handiest gadget, I never leave home without it.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

i tried that and i think i just have a bad voice. think its too deep

Too deep?
Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJf4J7VBaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVt6vhRAu3k

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

My voice is rubbish and will always be rubbish.[...] and i aint going to find a singing teacher cause im just not.

It's hard to know how to respond to something like this! :roll: There is an overpowering, almost confrontational defeatism here. Anyone who has taken singing lessons or worked hard on singing knows that anyone who is not truly tone-deaf (and this excludes you, as tone-deaf people cannot tell if they are singing badly) can learn to sing.

The second bit is even harder to address: "cause im just not"??? What's up with that? If money is a problem there are a lot of free vocal instruction videos on the web--as some have already pointed out. Go to YouTube and look up Eric Arceneaux. In any case, it sounds like you don't want to learn how to sing. Strange.

Unless your preferred genre is opera or the high-tech vocals of pop-metal, you should be able to get your singing in shape in a short time. If you want to take on Rigoletto, it might take a little longer, but you can do it.

If you want to, that is.

ReplyQuote