Skip to content
do i have the poten...

Notifications
Clear all

do i have the potential to be a good singer?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i'm starting vocal lessons this thursday, i recorded myself playing and singing a song into a microphone. constructive criticism would be appreciated

http://media.putfile.com/3x5

better quality stuff i have done, is here http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rich2k4/music/

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I was unable to access the full file on putfile.com--only a few guitar chords and then the file stopped before any vocals appeared.

I listened to some of the other stuff on your band website, and I think your voice is really great! :P

Two suggestions I would make: Your voice seems too far back in the mix, almost as if you (or whoever mixed the songs for you) wanted to deemphasize the vocal. There are some styles that use this technique (REM recordings, for example, where Michael Stipe's voice is often buried in the mix), but blues isn't usually one of them. So try to bring up the vocal.

Second (and this may be why you deemphasize the vocals) your voice could use some blues-style shaping. This is partly electronic processing--reverb, eq, compression, etc.--and partly vocal styling. You could use a bit more grit, growl, etc., in your voice. There are some teachers who can work with you on this, but a way to jump-start the process is simply to begin thinking like an actor. Imagine yourself as the character and FEEL the blues--man, that sh*t's so baad--that red house over yonder, where my baby USED to live! :cry: You'll be moaning in no time!

Disclosure. I don't have much grit in my voice either--but I tend to stay away from the blues.

Yes, you have the potential to be a good singer--you already are! 8) Keep singing!

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, the pink floyd song and little wing aren't me singing by the way, they are someone else. hopefully those aren't the ones you listened to.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

You are already a good singer.

Jersey Jack is right again. You are hiding your voice behind the music. Don't forget that your voice is the most important instrument in a song with lyrics. If people can't hear it, they don't get the full effect of the song. Bring your voice up in the mix.

Dave

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Good to hear! I STRONGLY suggest you read that post I made the other day on DEMO SESSION TIPS. I dunno HOW many people have thanked me for this method over the years!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote