Clear all

help in singing!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@loopstyle)
Topic starter  

hi there, im having problems with singing.. a little background on myself:

i have been playing guitar, keyboards, bass and drums for more than 10 yrs.. my ear has been trained to emulate whatever chord or note is playing just by hearing it. i never had any problems with that. but for some reason, when i sing, i could not hold a tune. it's as if i cannot properly hear myself singing.

I really sound bad, when i sing i think im in tune, but when i play back a recording, it just horrible! help! what can i do with this? is there any exercise or method that someone can show me? it's just frustrating, knowing how to play instruments, but not being able to carry a tune..

(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Have you thought about taking voice lessons? The voice is an instrument just like guitar, I've known a few people who showed tremendous improvement after they spent some one-on-one time as a professional. Sorry for the cop-out answer, I'm not much of a singer myself.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Have you thought about taking voice lessons? The voice is an instrument just like guitar, I've known a few people who showed tremendous improvement after they spent some one-on-one time as a professional. Sorry for the cop-out answer, I'm not much of a singer myself.

+1 :)

It's tempting to think that all we need to do is just sing a bit a more often and it will all start to improve. But the voice is an instrument in its own right (many would say that it is, and always will be, the number 1 instrument). It needs not just practice but study as well, if you want to get the best from it.

You can't beat having at least a few lessons from a pro. But if that's not an option then there are books with CDs that demonstrate some of the concepts and exercises. I got one such book from the local library and it was so useful that I bought a copy. I also took a couple of lessons (hoping to have more when I've got over the flu...).

It really is worth putting some time and effort into, rather than just winging it. If you can also sing then it hugely expands your musical potential as a guitar player.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Solfege!

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote