Notifications
Clear all

How Do I Hit This Note + Need Some Advice

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@laxstud120)
Topic starter  

Alright, in Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger, the note in the chorus is just so hard for me to hit. The "SOOOOO Sally can wait" and the "My SOOOOOULLL slides away" seems much higher than the rest of the song. It also all seems to be in chest voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8OipmKFDeM&feature=related

Here is me trying to sing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0aIcpMwVrw

How can I make it sound better (not just on the chorus but everything)? I'm practicing for my HS talent show and would like some tips from people to actually sing. I personally have never received any lessons, you know just the kind of person who just sings in the car and the shower. I asked a chorus friend of mine and he said I was "scooping" and need work on the "down beats". Not really what this means, so when you critique me please make it so I'm able to understand please! Thanks for your time.

(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Not sure if it's just me (My ear isn't that well developed yet) But it seems to me your singing up an octave. When I play and sing it, i sing the octave below the one which you are. Maybe i'm an octave down, but the not is certainly not hard to hit in the octave i'm in. But either way, if your struggling to hit it, try breathing very deep and using a lot of air on that one note you struggle with. There is a song by a worship leader called Tim Hughes, song happy day. There is a part that i struggle with, just before the chorus he goes "He's ALIIIIIIIVE" and that goes really high and then the "OH" at the beginning of the chorus is High for me too. I can just about hit it with enough breath. I do prefer to sing harmony though.

I liked the way you went into the chorus on your version. Harmony is somtimes nice on its own. Makes the song your own.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote