Clear all

Parent issues

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@jwakefield)
Topic starter  

This post applies to the people out there who live with thier parents (no it's not an insultive post).

Have you ever sung in your room to yourself and really enjoyed it then when you're singing your mum/dad comes bounding into your room to tell you to shut the hell up, it happened to me 2 seconds ago.

It's really put me down, if feel although there isn't a place I can just belt out my voice and sing. I'm 16 and at college, I live with my parents, they hardly ever leave the house. I'm currently practising my voice but my parent's insults are really destroying my confidence, anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for listening,

(@evolution)
Estimable Member

I'm 16 and at college

Wow :!: How many grades did you skip?

I've never really had the problem since I usually sing alittle lower than the vocals on the track. Don't let your parents discourage you from singing just keep on going, but maybe you might just be singing too loud then try to tone it down a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Don't worry about being young when mum/ dad tells you to shut the ...... up it happens to me all the time in the shower belting out some Deep Purple ot Status Quo or even AC/DC .

And I'm 42 married with children older then you and my children are the ones yelling out to me to shut the .... up

So don't feel bad young man it's just others don't appreciate our fine musical voices that are never flat and are always in tune .

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yeah, I agree.. Dont worry about it too much. When I was 15 I was in my bedroom singing with headphones on. Parents never liked me playing my music too loud. Anyway, of course all they could hear was the singing. In came my sister, dad, and someone else (Cant remember who) and it was all funny to them. But I can still remember how embarrassed I was.

But I didnt let it stop me and now days.. I can sing, play guitar (Which my dad told me I could never learn), and plenty other musical stuff and they can do..... birds chirping..... lots of silence...... more chirping.... Ohh ya.. Nothing musically.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As a parent, I can quite understand their feelings. It is simply relief at finding that the noise is just you singing and that the images of you being torn apart by a sore-headed grizzy with a chain saw were just imagination. ;)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

For some people (like me) it doesn't end later in life, It is now my wife that tells me to shut up. But at least now I have the option of not shutting up. (and my couch really is comfortable)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

For some people (like me) it doesn't end later in life, It is now my wife that tells me to shut up. But at least now I have the option of not shutting up. (and my couch really is comfortable)

And when you wake up at 3:25 AM just start the chorus all over again.

You'll be allowed back in the bed rather abruptly, I'm thinking. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Being a parent myself I know that parents can sometimes be cruel and not even know they are doing it. I don't know how well you sing but I can tell you that not many voices sound good through walls and doors. All that seems to escape is the bad sounds.

I would just try singing in a lower tone and belt it out when no one is around.

You can also tell them they may need to take voice lessons and come back and teach you when they know what they are talking about HaHa. You may want to skip that advice.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hmmmmmmm......

I always had the opposite problem, when I was quiet, they knew I was up to no good and came lookin' for me asking me what I was up to. I learned NOT to say, "Nothing". Man they would come flying up the stairs! LOL

The only thing I can suggest is going into the woods or something similar that there aren't a lot of people around. Just because you like the music you are singing, doesn't mean everyone else shares the same opinion.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I lived at home, my mother used to criticisise my singing all the time....till one day I asked her if she'd ever heard of Bob Dylan....then played "The Times They Are A-Changing" - when it came to te line "And don't criticise what you don't understand" I REALLY belted that one out....then told her, that guy can't sing, but I wouldn't mind being a million quid behind him.....

At a halloween party earlier tonight, the TV was on, music channel plaaying....one girl, couldn't have been more than 11-12, was singing along with "The Boys Are Back In Town" "Poison" "Sweet Child of Mine" and "Bohemian Rhapsody"....asked her how she knew all these oldies, she replied "It's what mum and dad play in the car".....

Mum and Dad are about mid 30's, so I've got a few years on them.....oh yeah, she knew all the words to "Run to the Hills" as well....

Asked her didn't she like chart music, she said "No....I like guitar music".....

Now there's a young lady with her head screwed on.....and she asked me so many questions about my guitar and amp, and asked her dad could she have a guitar.....unfortunately, dad doesn't play, but mum plays piano and can read music, they said "we'll think about it".....hell, the kid wants to rock, I hope they say OK, you can have one for Xmas.....

Looks like there is hope for this generation of teenagers after all.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

So classic rock is now referred to as guitar music?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Perhaps a mild threat would help? Offer a compromise - if they'll not come into your room and tell you not to make noise with your singing, you'll not go into their room and tell them not to make when they're having sex. :shock:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

When I was 15 I was in my bedroom singing with headphones on. ... Anyway, of course all they could hear was the singing. In came my sister, dad, and someone else (Cant remember who) and it was all funny to them. But I can still remember how embarrassed I was.

Ah, yes. I was 16, and it was my girlfriend at the time and her family; there was me belting out some Mott The Hoople. Ah, memories

And then the first time my Dad tried singing with headphones - one night after I'd gone to bed. Hopeless, or what? God alone knows what the neighbours must have thought.

It's so funny looking back on it all now

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

And then the first time my Dad tried singing with headphones
One of the funniest things I've heard was on Jeux sans Frontieres. The game was to sing a song, whilst wearing headphones. Not too difficult, except that the only thing that the singer could hear was his/her own voice, delayed by one second! No-one managed more than about 5 seconds before totally losing it. Maybe an idea for a party game?

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah, Alan Green.....Mott The Hoople eh? Man after my own heart!

We really are going to have to have a GN Britsh get-together....we tried last year, but it all fel through - maybe 2006?

I'll put somrthing on the seminar forum, see how much interest there is.....

Het Alan....can you still do "All The Young Dudes?" I'll bring the ray-bans and put the haircut off for another few months.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2