Clear all

rock screaming!!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

please share some knowledge on rock screaming....i am a fan of eddie vedder and i like his screaming, but i cant do it like him....can anyone come up with suggestions?? thank you.

by the way what is belting???

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

I'll start with the last question, Belting is singing in the higher part of your range through use of heavy force on the diaphragm and chest resonance.
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/powerful_vocals.html should tell you alot about this.
Firstly you should know Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain, John Turner, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltry, all ruined their voices doing this in the name of rock and roll. Though they made it big and can afford physiotherapy and surgery, you might not be so lucky.
My Geography teacher was a retired coach, his voice is so shot from yelling, it now sounds as if he has bronchitis/strep throat and his speech is like whispering.
This is because of all the nodes he has aquired through yelling, his vocal folds dont fit together right and therefore cannot efficiently vibrate enough for a clean sound, so much so his voice cracks and breaks when he talks.
If you are willing to take the pain and consequences, (I do) go for it and good luck.
My suggestion is you research glottal attack methods.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm not suggesting it as a method of achieving what you want to do, rather pointing out that if it happens you can make the most of it, but...

Whenever I've had a heavy night drinking in a smokey pub, the next morning my voice is a lot stronger, deeper, more gravelly and just more suited to belting out rocky songs in general. Now that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make quite often :mrgreen:

...and nice link Zacharias, thanks.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@lyricsforaband)

A good example of an awesome rock singer is none other than Chris Cornell, listen to the song Hunger Strike-a song done on the Temple of The Dog album (one of the most awesome albums ever done) and listen to the amazingly high notes he some how pulls off by the grace of God. and then listen to a newer cd of his like an Audioslave CD and notice how his voice just doesn't resonate and seem to have the same uumph too it. Judge for yourself after you listen to it.

Some people struggle at writing, while others write about people who are struggling.

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

You may not have his range to sing the same.

Everyone is made differently. Sad, but true.

"Belting" is just that... Belting it out. Go for it.

ReplyQuote