Clear all

Self consciousness and singing

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lost_in_la)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I really love singing, but have always been singing to myself with no one listening. I decided to take voice lessons, and after 3 lessons, I am noticing the teacher always tells me I am being very self-conscious. I konw it is true, and I really feel very self conscious which makes me sound weird (and weak). Do you guys have any tips on how to eliminate or reduce self-consciousness when I am singing? Your help is truly appreciated.

Oh, and first post. Hi everyone :D

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

That's a hard one! I'll say this: Even though you're the singer, it's not about you. Rather, it's about the song, or about what you are giving to your audience. Think about what you're giving to them rather than how they may or may not be judging you.

Easier said than done, I know, but it's a healthy way of thinking about performance.

Best,
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@ihaveaplan)

Just keep at it. The more you sing in front of other people, the easier it will get.

If you're ever embarrassed about the subject matter of the lyrics, just pretend that you're an actor. If it's a cliche love song that you can't really relate to, put yourself in the shoes of the love-crazed person. That way it's not about you, it's about the person you're acting as. Of course it's best if you can relate to the song personally, but if you can't, find a way to relate an actor to it.

Also, the above advice from Jersey Jack is really good.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I like ihaveaplan's idea of thinking of oneself as an actor! I have taught College English for many years, and I still teach occasionally, and I can say for certain that the best advice I ever received as a nervous, beginning teacher is this: You learn to teach by PRETENDING you're a teacher! The very idea that I was taking on a role, like an actor, made my early teaching experience a lot less stressful.

There's something about singing that leads people to think it's somehow different from every other human activity, but it's not. Children learn to be adults by pretending they're adults; singers learn to sing by pretending they are singers. Slip into character 8) and try to communicate something to your audience.

Extraordinary natural talent does exist--some singers do seem to come fully formed out of the box. But I don't personally have much of a taste for vocal perfection (thank God!). I'll give you a truckload of Celine Dions and Josh Grobans and oh, so resonant guys in tight jeans and cowboy hats for one beautiful croak of Bob Dylan or one glorious whine of Neil Young or Thom Yorke. It's about passion! :D

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i guess it's like tackling someone. if you flinch, you're going to be rigid and out of position, and it's going to hurt, but if you just relax and hit them, it won't be so bad.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

that tackle analogy is true, its like fashion stars...they pull of their outrageous styles because they have the confidence to go through with it...it works because they 'make it work' but not flinching. its what the call the 'guts to do it' i think its the same with singing, if you hit it with enthusiasm and be bold then more often than not that will make up for any little mistakes you may make...wheras if you dont have charisma and emotion and other things for people to focus on...they will just have your singing and your mistakes to focus on...

ReplyQuote