Notifications
Clear all

Should I rest my Voice? + Vocal Example

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@drumminfoo92)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. My names Dylan Snowden. I've been singing for a while now but I have never had any vocal lessons. I'm currently 18 and in college and I have the privilege of finally taking a vocal performance class next semester so I can actually learn good technique.

Anyways, lately I have been trying to reach some high notes which I successfully have been doing but I have noticed a change in my voice. It has started to become kind of scratchy, kind of like their is spit or saliva that is vibrating while I'm singing. My voice is okay at low to mid range but when I start trying to do the powerful notes, I'm getting that Gavin DeGraw kind of rawness too it. I like his style but I'd rather go back to my smooth voice so I know I'm not doing anything wrong. Also, I'd like to note that my vocal control isn't as good as it use to be... I've kind of lost the little bit of vibrato that I had and also I kind of use to be able to trill between notes, but that is also suffering.

I recently did a very high F but I don't even know where my voice begins on the piano or in relation to the "middle C"
I have also tested how low I can go and it turns out it is also a low F lol.

Here is the National Anthem that I recorded about 2 years ago and really one of the only recordings I've done in a while because of school and everything.
http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=949076085.m4a

The kind of high notes I'm talking about can be heard when I sing "Free" at the end. I've also been going higher.

Soooo lol.... finally... I'm thinking I should do like a week or two week vocal rest to try and heal anything going on down there because it seems maybe my vocal cords are inflamed. Anyone have any suggestions??

(@drumminfoo92)
Topic starter  

lol... welll.....

I guess... its been about a week... I'm gonna do some warm ups and see how things go lol...

Thanks for the ... views?? advice??

ReplyQuote
(@drumminfoo92)
Topic starter  

uhhhh lol

ReplyQuote
(@drumminfoo92)
Topic starter  

3k views and no replies lol...

okay... i guess can you at least comment on the singing??

any comments at all would be appreciated lol

ReplyQuote
(@eunice_hairburger)

HELLLOOOOOOO! (it's Grace from the other forum! lol)

I see nobody has replied to your post then. Sadness a'plenty. lol

ReplyQuote