singing style/s ?....

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey

Im in interested in singing. I really know nothing about it though. Ive always thought i cant sing but not for any reason just sorta tought that. Anyway ive a few questions. Can people learn to sing? my voice is nothing amazing but after trying to sing I noticed a nice tone a parts and then it would fall apart on some parts of songs, why is that. Can people only sing cirtain types of music.? Also what is singing from your "chest" how is it done? can most people sing ?

Thanks

(@chae)
Eminent Member

to answer your first question yes people can be taught or learn to sing. to answer your second question you may seem to be off key in certain songs as the pitch is either out of your vocal range or you arent trying hard enough to get the right tone. with some tuition im sure you could reach those notes. and finally singing from your chest is the correct way to sing, as many singers will tel you, it is singing from the diapragm draswing breathe from down in your chest cavity allowing your vocal chords to work at a pitch for longer, or so im lead to belive

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Hey everyone can sing, just like anything else some are naturally better then others. But your vocal chords are muscles, if you spend some time conditioning them youd be amazed at the sounds you can make. Id suggest to either find a teacher (could just be a friend who knows about singing) or they sell great books. "Vocal Technique - a guide to finding your voice" by Dena Murray is what I used, it took me from shyly whispering to really singing with volume and resonance. It'll tell you everything about how your voice works and it comes with CD's to practice scales with. Scales are the most important thing for improving your voice, its like going to the gym for your voice.

If you want some proof find someone to show you how to sing them (or use the book) and after about 20-30 minutes of singing scales try singing a song, youll be shocked at how great you can sound with a little warmup. They also teach your body what it feels like to sing correctly, and then when you go to sing a song you just remember how it felt and youll surprise yourself.

Oh, and those hard to sing parts will sound incredible when you do them right, you should never strain to hit a note. Even very high and loud notes can be hit without too much effort if you do everything correctly.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

To answer your question about style, it is true, some singer's tone lend themselves better or more comfortably to certain styles or genres of performance and singing. See what fits for you, experiment! You can never exposes yourself to too many sounds, let alone enough!

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@chae)
Eminent Member

To answer your question about style, it is true, some singer's tone lend themselves better or more comfortably to certain styles or genres of performance and singing. See what fits for you, experiment! You can never exposes yourself to too many sounds, let alone enough!

this is a very good point i dont think you would find christina aguilera doind a barry white song as there styles vary massively, just find a style that suits you and stick to it

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

well i suggest this to start with.. talk normally .. then act as if you ar a shaekspearian actor with the booming voice and attitude.. feel that.. fell the power in your voice?... fell the confidence?... you should ,as in life act as if you are the better person the more confident person you always wanted to be.. when this works you will sing better.. then all it is.. is to learn how to control.. you will oversing to begin with.. when the control comes you will be able to sing whatever style you feel like trying because you can be that person... imagination and fortitude.. as my 3 year old son. he has every super hero he idolizes stored in his leg.. and a few more like king kong in the other leg.. and i'll be damned if he cannot pull one out when he needs to be them.... and he is then atop the world with no one to topple him...
sing often, sing strong, and you will sing well

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

My natural (untrained) voice is more suited toward jazz, but I always wanted to be able to belt out some blues, but didn't think that I had the power or the range. Luckily for me, one of my friends of more than 25 years is a trained classical vocalist. After a few sessions with her I was doing things with my voice that I had never thought I could EVER do! I'm not the best blues singer you ever heard, but I'm also pretty sure that you wouldn't run out with your hands over your ears if you happened to hear me! Learn how to breathe properly, learn to control your instrument (your voice), practice, practice, practice and you'll be able to hear your voice changing and getting stronger and your range will increase and you'll be able to sing whatever you want to sing! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, the comments are very helpful i suppose its all about finding the confidence now.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Thanks guys, the comments are very helpful i suppose its all about finding the confidence now.

Confidence is the key, if you don't have it you can't sing well. I have a pretty good natural Bluegrass/Country voice. But I've developed (I'm told) a real good Choral voice through lots of practice. Confidence played a big part in this development. Let me tell you the story behind this. I play and sing in a Bluegrass gospel group and we perform once a month at a local nursing home. One of the residents asked me if we knew "How Great Thou Art", I told her no but that we would learn it for the next months performance. Well, try as I might I couldn't sing the first four words of the chorus. My voice would just run all over the place (it sounded terrible :!: ). After numerous attempts I decided I'm just going to belt that part out. So I took a deep breath and let it go. My wife came out to the room where I practice and said WOW I didn't know you could sing opera that sounded great! I was real uneasy about it at first but it didn't take long before it was easy to call on this new ability at will. So practice and being able to overcome your fear to try new things is the key, atleast it works for me.

Here's a link to a site that may help you.
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote