Clear all

time to heal

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

has anyone had to take a break from singing to let there throat heal?
iv been singing at the limit of my vocal range for a year now and its done some damage, so much so that if i sing hard a week later it still hurts to talk. so iv decided to stop singing all together for a few weeks, then ease back into it with scales, proper warmups etc.

has anyone else ever had this same problem?

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've not had this problem personally, but I have read numerous accounts on here of people expressing the same sort of thing.

If you have injured your vocal chords, it seems to be the best thing to not sing at all untilthey have healed completely. If you damage the vocal chord tissue it can be hard, if not impossible, to fully heal them back 100%.

So yeah take break for a week or 2, drink plenty of water, maybe you can get something from your chemist to help as well (I think you can get compounds which dissolve in water for you to gargle with).

Your idea of soing regular sessions of some scales and other exercises could help to build up more strength in your voice (once you've healed, obviously!) and sounds a smart move to me.

Hope your voice feels better soon! :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

be careful if you sing with bad technique you can develope nodes and then its no singing...ever

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yeah i was worried about nodules, but iv only been singing for less than a year and not really screaming (much...) so i dont think that should be a problem yet, still definately time to take a break and start again ironing out the niggles i think...

is there anything i can do to help it heal quicker?
or better?

ReplyQuote