Clear all

Trying to start singing

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to start singing, but I have a slight problem. My voice is deep, but not deep enough, to the point I'm stuck in like the worst place. When I try to sing along with anything I change from a low key to a high key and back all the time. It's frustrating I can't stay with one pitch the entire song.

I want to make MP3's of the songs I write for the sunday songgroup but I can't if my singing is horrid.

Thanks in advance.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Duff.. What happens when you lay on your back and relax and sing facing up at the ceiling? Out of curiosity.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'll try that the next time I'm alone and let you know.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I'll try that the next time I'm alone and let you know.

Why wait till you're alone? I do that at parties all the time and it's Always a hit!

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

OK, now I'm curious – what does singing on your back do :?:

B.S. :)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I find I can hardly get a note out when I sing lying on my back.

I guess that's bad.

:?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

hey, you have the exact same problem everyone has when they start to sing, you feel like you have 2 voices (called head and chest voices fyi). This is because there are 2 muscles that control your vocal chords and to get the notes inbetween your head and chest voice they both have to be strong enough. The "gap" is the hardest place to sing (especially at first) but as your voice gets stronger youll find its actually where your voice will sound the best. Singing scales is the easiest way to "work out" your voice muscles. To do this I bought a book that came with cds, or you could get a teacher (or teach yourself) but singing scales is like going to the gym for your voice, and then singing songs is like the big game (the fun part)

You would be surprised how good you will sound after a few weeks of singing scales, i noticed a differance almost immediatly and once your voice gets strong enough you really dont even need to do it anymore cause youll sing songs the correct way which is a pretty good workout anyways.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote