Clear all

Type of Guitar for Accompaniment?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@raven2)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I love singing, and my whole purpose in learning how to play guitar is to become a sort of one-man band at open-mike nights and the like, by singing and accompanying myself.

As far as my voice and the songs I like to sing, the range can go from Tracey Chapman and India.Arie bluesy stuff to more light and lyrical like Celine Dion and Mariah Carey (not at all to say I sound just like those folk, though :))

I really don't know anything about guitars, so with all that in mind, would an accoustic, acoustic-electric or a classical guitar be the best kind to buy/learn for my needs?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

acoustic/electrics are nice. you need an amp or a PA at the venue, unless you bring one.
an acoustic without would need a mike and PA.
this is keeping in mind that you will be performing.
otherwise, a regular acoustic is all you need to paly and sing for yourself.
what is your price range?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

one of each!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@raven2)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $500, though I don't know if it's possible to get an acoustic-electric in that price range.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Many acoustic/electrics sound mighty good unplugged, in your price range you should be able to find something. Don't neglect the used market where some great values can be found. I think an acoustic/electric would probably be more versatile for you than a straight acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I would buy the best acoustic I could afford. Better to spend your money on the instrument instead of a cheap pickup. Which is what you'll get in a under $500 acoustic electric. You can worry about amping your axe when your ready to start performing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member

From what you've said about the type of music you like and your desire to sing at open mike nights, then I'd say get a steel strung acoustic and forget the classical guitar. Classical guitar is better suited for classical recitals and Flamenco.

General Savage

ReplyQuote