Clear all

Vocal Mirical?

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For the most of my life i could sing right? Then at the age of 12 i started smoking, then smoked until i was 16. That totally destroyed any form of vocal talent i had developed before then.

But get this right! Recently at church i got asked to perform in a drama, as i am part of the drama team in the youth. My part consisted of singing the chorus of lean on me, with slightly modified lyrics, solo infront of 200 or 300 people. As soon as i found this out i started praying straight away, asking God to give me any part of my voice back so i dont make a fool of myself on stage. When the night and the specific part came round, i was very nervous, but i just started singing, and it came out perfectly in tune and with a nice tone, but was a bit shakey due to nerves.

A Miricle or what! God is great!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

either that or your vocal chords have been healing since you stopped smoking. could be either. the choice you make is what faiths all about i suppose, what you feel is the reason deep inside

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Sweet! I'm not religious, but I've always felt that the fact that human beings can sing is proof that God (take your pick) wants us to be happy.

But then I also feel that way about Bach, Bruce Springsteen, and wine.

It's all about joy. Ride the spirit!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

While I personally believe the "God is Great" part, I would lean towards the "or what". Otherwise when you voice doesnt work next month, or something else breaks, then it leaves some to wonder if God suddenly is not great. How could He let that happen? The one statement is always true, regardless of the 'outcome' statement. However, I am thrilled that your voice worked for you. Its nice when things start working in our favor. Things like singing and playing guitar are difficult enough without putting obstacles in our way. Make sure you stay away from those cigs. :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Make sure you stay away from those cigs. :D

Dont worry their well out. And I really do believe that God has given me my voice back, because since that night about a month and a half ago i have been gradually improving with my voice. Mostly due to practice. Me and my girlfriend now sing together all the time, her on piano, me on guitar and both of us singing, and we have a great time and my voice is getting better. I get the odd day where my throat feels bad and i cant sing much, but praise God, I got my voice back from before i smoked! Obviously a bit lower as my voice broke lol. I have to sing nearly everything an octave lower than it should be, but im pracacing trying to increase my range, and praying about it, and its working :D Praise God

David x

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

I think its great that you stopped smoking although I do believe it has more to do with peoples will power and certainly social pressures than God. We read a lot about the negative effects of smoke on our vocal chords and I wouldn't dispute the wisdom of such advice.

However one of the greatest voices of all time was Mr Frank Sinatra which proves that a great voice can handle most things including smoke and bourbone. In the good old bad old days most artists where permenantly working in a smokey atmosphere at clubs etc. I'm not advocating that anyone smokes but there was time when it was regarded with shall we say less stigma than it is now.

The voices of today are smoke free and certainly all the better for it, however attributing it to smoke one way or another is IMHO somewhat stretching the point. On relection listening to most modern singers I can't help feel that we have not progressed that much and smoking or not will certainly never make an average singer a great one.

Not looking for an arguement just giving a somewhat different view point.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

God is great!
Amen brother! :D

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Otherwise when you voice doesnt work next month, or something else breaks, then it leaves some to wonder if God suddenly is not great. How could He let that happen?

How can He let that happen...because He has a purpose in mind. Sometimes beyond our own vision and sight. If things come and go, it's because He has a reason.
God is great!
Amen brother! :D

Ditto!! :D

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Its great to see so many christians on a site like this. To be honest, when i joined i thought i would be like the only one, its great to see everyone here, hey maybe we could do an online worship jam or something?

david

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

This is getting dangerously close to a discussion of a banned subject...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Banned subject? Is faith not allowed to be discussed on this forum? To be honest, its not like anyone is arguing, i started the thread just to tell my vocal story, and that i believe it was the power of God that gave me my voice back. Never meant it to turn into anything banned, but its not gone all heated yet or anything, and no-one is dissing anyone else, everyone is entitled to their own point of view.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yeah, one of the great things about Guitarnoise is the fact that they keep it pretty much on track as far as being musically oriented. If you stray off the beaten path then it gets locked or pulled. Believe it or not that is a good thing because if you have visited many other sites such as this one, you know there is alot of bashing. GN at one point tried a "Put your opinions here" category and it was a mess (IMHO).

I know for a fact its not problem to talk about your vocal troubles or successes but when the main theme of the thread leans outside of music its getting iffy. LOL I think I helped take it that way too and apologise for that.

I am glad your vocal problems have cleared up... is it still going well in that department?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, its going very well in that department now. I have been practacing my vocals a lot more than normal. My voice is soft and good for acoustic songs, or piano songs, but im in a punk band, i can just about manage a punk style voice without straining too much. But my girlfriend plays the piano, and she is very talented, beautiful voice, and i have been singing with her at her house a lot, aswell as along to songs on my ipod, and whilst in church to the praise and worship, and i keep hearing new things that my voice does. Im picking up new techniques without even realising it, my breathing is a lot better and my tone is gradually improving, im so happy to be able to sing again, and to be gradually getting better at it, because i enjoy it so much, and i love singing with my girlfriend aswell, we might be recording some of our stuff soon, me and my girlfriend that is, so if we do i will post the link in this thread here so you can hear me singing.

thanks for asking by the way, think im gonna put you on my friends list :wink:

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...its not gone all heated yet or anything, and no-one is dissing anyone else...
That is merely an indication of how recently the discussion was started... it's easily as reliable as Godwin's law ;)

But seriously, politics and religion are specifically named as a no-no around here. I'm a fence-sitter on the matter myself - I'd like more freedom, but I appreciate the positive effect the ban has on this place. Show me a friendlier forum and I'll weigh it up again :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

i love singing with my girlfriend aswell, we might be recording some of our stuff soon, me and my girlfriend that is, so if we do i will post the link in this thread here so you can hear me singing.

thanks for asking by the way, think im gonna put you on my friends list :wink:

David
That'd be excellent. I'd love to hear it. I will add you as a friend as well. Although, I have never used that feature so.. not sure what will happen. LOL

take care
Jim

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2