Clear all

Why so much fuss about expanding range?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a question: When I look at vocal teachers, especially those who teach online or through books, the emphasis is almost always on increasing range. Now, I understand that many singers--especially those who can already sing--are in fact most interested in expanding their range, but I don't understand why this one aspect of vocal training gets all the attention, as opposed to, say, developing good tone, or accurate pitch, or effective style, etc.

I'd be happy to sing really well in one octave, and I imagine that many people who look into singing lessons aren't fully convinced that they can sing at all, so what use is expanding range to them? Are these ads geared toward people who already sing well, and who want to sing better? Folks who already have tone, pitch, style? What about the rest of us?

Also, I sometimes feel that there is a certain macho in this--as if having a three or four octave range is akin to performing an astounding bench press or some such thing. Like breaking a glass with one's voice--who cares really? Guitar players can shred all day and I yawn, but the one who delivers a beautiful melodic line--even if it's so slow a beginner could play it--that's the one that gets me!

Jersey Jack

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the reason they are interested in expanding range is because it makes your natural range more powerful.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, this is interesting. So if I expand my range beyond my one octave, say, my voice in this original octave will improve?

I have no problem with power--in fact I'm told consistently that I'm too loud. I'm okay with pitch as well, usually. Will my TONE improve?

If so, I may well sign up for some expansion!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

not necessarily, in a capella choir etc, we were taught that we had essentially 3 voices.
chest voice, mixed voice, and head voice or falsetto. range exercises helped strengthen whatever our individual weaknesses were.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

expanding your range does make a BIG difference to your normal range. because i high note that was once 'at the top of your range' and may have been strained or uncertain is now well within, so you can hit it hard and clean.

expanding range also means going low....you may find that you CAN jump an octave. but you never could before because you were only using the middle and top of your natural singing range

ReplyQuote