26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Last night was another terrific lesson. Free too, I might add. There was a mix up between the two of us and I thought I was paid up. Instead of making me pay, she just gave me the lesson.

Well, my copy of "Best I Ever Had" still wasnt working. So rather than fight it I ordered another copy and I purchased a local copy of a Mercy Me karoke CD.

I was singing "I Can Only Imagine" for her last night. Atleast until I can get my "Best I Ever Had" from the mail order place.

Last nights lesson was about breathing. The song starts slow but gets more up tempo. There are some long runs where you really have to watch your breathing or else you will run out of air on the long runs.

She had me breathe in deeply a few times and pointed out that every time my shoulders would lift. This is incorrect. Next she had me lay on the floor and breathe. Shoulders didnt move. This is correct. Then I sang the song, without the music, a few times while lying on the floor. She sang along with me for comfort, and MAN what a beautiful voice she has. One of those melodic voices you would hear in a movie like Braveheart or Lord of the Rings.

In Jan, I told her that I wanted to go ahead and start the hour long lessons. It feels like we have to rush to much in just thirty minutes.

I hope these posts are helpful to some. If not, maybe I should stop sharing my lessons. I just felt like someone wanting to take voice lessons might like to hear how they go, atleast from my perspective.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

definatly very helpful geoo.

Proof - just LOOK at how many times your post has been viewed 374 times....
That says it all :wink:

Keep em bringing.We love to see you get tortured by the DOMME :twisted:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

One of the biggest problems is that when I sing my tonge gets in the way. It tries to come up to the roof of my mouth and that shuts off the air coming out of my mouth. SO, what happens to air that is shut off from your mouth? Any guesses? It goes out your nose. Sing something like "AHHHHHH" and hold it for a long period of time. Part way through pinch your nose. Did it change the sound? Thats the air coming out your nose and that is what makes it sound nasally.

Talk about usefull information, thanks! It's stuff like this that really makes me realise I should get a teacher for this at well. Good luck and keep the reports coming!

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

Sounds fun, keep it up! :D

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

GREAT thread this is Geoo, keep posting your progress.

Really interesting, a big thanks for making the effort to share it.

I will not get dragged into making cheap comments about your teacher. Despite an overwhelming urge to do so :lol:

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am so sorry that I havent been visiting my own thread.

Well, the sad update is that I had to put my voice lessons on hold. I am really pretty sad about that. But it was a matter of either me taking lessons or my 7 year old taking drum lessons and he has a MUCH brighter future in music that I do. So I let him.

I will say this, singing is every bit as much of a technical thing as learning guitar. I never realized until lessons how much there was to know about singing correctly.

Hopefully, I will start lessons again in a month or so and if I do I will continue adding to this post.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

G, nice post. Keep on keepin' us informed about your lessons. I'm learing from reading this stuff.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

G, nice post. Keep on keepin' us informed about your lessons. I'm learing from reading this stuff.

Thanks Corbind. I think the good news of the day is that it looks like I might be able to continue my lessons soon. Well, and that she's been really flirty with me on the nights I go for my guitar lessons. Well, maybe thats a bad thing.. My wonderful girlfriend might not appreciate that too much. :oops:

Still singing. Looking for oppotunities to sing and practice. I need to get back on my Roger Love lessons. They really are alot of help.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

This thread has told of 5 pretty useful tips as far as I can see, so keep it going!

It'll be a great help and reference, I'm sure.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

What's a Roger Love lesson?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What's a Roger Love lesson?

Well, when you say it that way it just sounds nasty. :oops: Roger Love has a book/cd out that has alot of different vocal exercises in it. My teacher gave it to me to help when I wasnt with her. It seemed to help a bit.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2