Amplifiying a dobro

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

HI All

I currently have a wooden spider type dobro - it doesn't have an amplification.
I'd like to add to it an internal amplification. any suggestions ? models ? tips ?

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Highlanders seem to be a popular choice for Nationals buiscuits and tricones, not sure if they make one for spiders or if it would work.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I've read good things about Pick-up The World for resonators, but my own experience with them is limited to regular acoustic guitars.

I believe that no matter what solution you go with, feedback will be a problem,- dobros must be one of the hardest instruments to amplify. One workaround that seems to work for many players (including Jerry Douglas) is to have an internal pickup of some kind and feed that to an amp on stage, using this amp as a personal monitor. Then the dobro is mic'ed for the house PA, and none of this signal is fed back to the players monitor since he already use the stage amp as monitor.
This way you'll get a good natural sound out through the PA while still having good monitoring onstage, AND minimize the feedback problems.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Steinar,
I saw a German blues player called Abi Wallenstein do exactly that. He uses an 8 string Reso (the high E and B are doubled, just like on a 12 string), with some sort of internal pickup, that ran to a 10W Vox Pathfinder, which was mic'ed into the PA.
I've found a video that seems to show an inbuilt P90

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My good friend Grady Musick fell in love with Schatten's resonator pickups. Became a Schatten endorser, in fact. Look him up and ask him about them: http://gradymusick.com/

Several of my other friends on the forum over at Big Road Blues have gone to the Schattens and really like them. I'm still miking whenever I "play out." :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

That Schatten sure looks interesting. 8) We need a pickup challenge. I can't quite figure this out, are they all basically the same design?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Im confused.

is the amp/monitor mic'ed or is the dobro mic'ed.

I like the self monitor idea...Ive gone through hell using the house monitors and not hearing the band when we're full up and playing. sound check things sounded good.

my new National will be gigging sson. I am thinking of mic'ing it .

a side question, what would be a good preamp for a reso that is mic'ed with a good condenser mike.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

If the point is to amplify the natural sound then the dobro itself must be mic'ed and fed to the PA. The onstage amp is only there to serve as a personal monitor.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

If the point is to amplify the natural sound then the dobro itself must be mic'ed and fed to the PA. The onstage amp is only there to serve as a personal monitor.

Steinar

that's what I initially understood. research has told me the same, as it is the best manner to get that wonderful natural tone.
thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've never heard any resonator or acoustic guitar played through a pickup that really sounded like the instrument does acoustically. They can sound very good, nevertheless.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I will agree with those who suggest simply Mic. the resonator. It is the best sound for the instrument. :)

ReplyQuote