Clear all

Angel (Burning Of The Midnight Lamp) - another Hendrix tune

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Somewhere in between a juicy summer cold and the (swine) flu I spent the last couple of days recording this for my Hendrix project:

Angel (Burning Of The Midnight Lamp)

It's only a rough mix that I just did, but I think it's pretty close to how I want it to sound.

For the bottleneck sliders in here,- I play this in open E and it should work very nicely for bottleneck sliding as well, most of the verse is plpayed around the 12th fret, while the chorus is centered around the 10th fret. It's all there... :wink:

The idea to mix Angel with the intro from Burning Of The Midnight Lamp is from Gil Evans' version on his 1975 album "Play The Music Of Jimi Hendrix". I heard a Norwegian jazz/fusion band do it sometimes in the mid 80s and it's stuck with me ever since...

Hope you'll enjoy it!

8)
Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It's amazing Steinar! My commendations. I enjoyed it very much, and have hit this post 3 or 4 times so far, plus your Youtube link, 4 or more 'songs' - Sleepwalk and all of them are fantastic. :D

I love Angel by Jimi Hendrix, play it and sing it myself Coffee-House style but don't record. :roll:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

this is really wonderful. great playing Steinar. you really make Hendrix's tunes you own. the overtones from your lap and pedals are beautiful.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it! :D

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds really good Steinar, great job! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote