Clear all

Anyone tried "Rock Slide" slides?

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mitch, be sure to click on that link at the bottom of Big D's post and take a look around there. It'll give you GAS.

LOL, yes. But I can't get another glass slide - I'm too careless and hate vacuuming up glass shards out of the corner of my basement. :oops:

Gonna head to Sears this a.m. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Quick question: Does the logo imprint on a Craftsman slide cause any problems?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. That's not the kind you want. The really good kind of Craftsman socket has the size marking in a laser-etched rectangle on one side, which you turn up away from the strings when you put it on. The rest of the slide is perfectly smooth, with no stampings or grooves to catch the strings or make noise. Every other make of sockets I've looked at has those stamped markings, and most of 'em have deep grooves at the ratchet end (for no purpose other than decoration) that are problematic. Most of the bargain brands nowadays don't have a high polish, either.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Rico. I found the laser-etched type you described. I appreciate the help. (And I'm glad I asked the question!)

Heavy sucker, compared to glass which I was just getting the hang of.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, the mass takes some getting used to. And it's best to match up heavy slides with heavy strings, light slides with light strings.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the mass takes some getting used to. And it's best to match up heavy slides with heavy strings, light slides with light strings.
Yes, I've got Ernie Ball Beefy strings on my "slide guitar" (Ibanez Artcore); I think they are 11-54. After playing around with the slide last night I think I need to raise the action a little more. Project for today!

Overall I'm pleased with it - it gives a warmer and more pleasant tone than I expected. And despite the mass, I got used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. There's something inherently bluesy about using a Craftsman socket as a slide.

Now I just need to learn how to play. :lol:

(Hey, how 'bout you experienced slide players put up some beginner lessons on the main GN page? Hint hint ... 8) )

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I believe Johnny Winter's a Craftsman slider. Doubt he's got an endorsement deal with them, though.

I'd do a lesson if I could come up with a good way to tab without so much dang work!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I Love Johnny Winter's style and have formed by style after him. For years I have used a metal pinky slide which I on occasion have lost. In these modern times I have searched in local music stores and hardware stores and for me, nothing fit just right. Awwww but finally I was online surfing around and found exactly what I needed at Roy Rogers website, but wait, then he too discontinued his signature slide. Now what, I thought. Surfing, surfing, and more surfing and then why didn't I think of this to begin with, Elderly music. Not only the elusive pinky slide, in chrome I might add, but every other option and style of slide. So once again I'm slippin' and a slidin' and picked up a few extras just in case they decide to discontinue this item. Well it's back to, you guessed it, pickin' and a grinnin', have a good day... :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2