Clear all

Bar slants

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Newbie question here: Forward Slants, Reverse Slants - is that similar in direction to forward-slash, back-slash on the keyboard, where the Forward slant is the top end of the steel closest to the bridge and the Reverse Slant being with the lower, bottom end of the steel closest the bridge?

It's just that I saw the reference to 'reverse slant' on some other board and it wasn't explained. I discovered the 'forward' slant on C6 tuning, and it was weird - reminded me of fingering one of the Open D tunings where you have those sliding 6ths - straight across (4th and 2nd string), then angled, angled, then straight (for the IV), and then straight (the V), and then angle again. In the case of the C6 tuning it's (on a 6 string), the 5th string on whatever fret (depending on key), and then up and across to the 2nd string. There's a one-fret difference.

That's a forward slant, right? Like " / "

It'll probably be cleared up when I get my book, but until then I'm just figuring it out on my own.

Thanks.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I do believe you have the directions correct, and they are all over the place in my Hawaiian music book.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Sounds to me like you have the basics covered there. Here's a typical example of of how NOT to perform a reverse slant...

:lol:
Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

LOL!

...wait...that's a good way to not drop the steel! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

Sounds to me like you have the basics covered there. Here's a typical example of of how NOT to perform a reverse slant...

Steinar

Steinar you are a GENIUS, I haven't tried that technique yet. (probably will not have the time to try it) Now imagine sliding two sets of strings at the same time one set on top and one set on bottom. Now, all you have to do is figure out how to use the right hand :)

Thin slide with the string sets offset maybe and a mechanical damping device for the lower set?

I'd better get busy and learn how to play on 3 strings at once and maybe I can catch up later.

That's a beautiful instrument and I see you have nickle wound strings? I have phosphor bronze on my tricone and I broke an .035 D string a few weeks ago and had to replace it with a nickle wound 032 electric guitar string which sounds alot different, very tinny, the garbage can lid sound, pretty cool, might be good for jug band music or some kind of blues. Playing the D with adjacent strings (open G tuning) makes it sound like two different guitars playing at the same time which is unique. I am tempted to mix some strings just to see what happens. I think I'll leave it like it is for awhile it sounds pretty cool.

I need to go and get some strings today tho, might have to order a couple of sets. I need a set heavier than 12-56 and I am hoping I can find one ready made set instead of having to figure all that out again. I write down what I want and then lose the paper and forget. Seems like Alzheimers but it isn't. Darn, I guess I have to go back to IGS and find those string guage topics again. I don't have much money to buy alot of extra strings to have onhand. 6 guitars and only 2 sets of extra strings (light guage electric) and one used acoustic set.

What I really need to do is stay off of the internet! (help....)

I am off to the music stores (out of town ones since I live in a flea bit little town)

Later,

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

That's a beautiful instrument and I see you have nickle wound strings?

Yup, it's my electric Asher lap steel:

I use Newtone Aloha bronze-wounds on my acoustics...

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, Phangeaux, nickel wound strings are definitely the thing for resos!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Steinar

you rascal.
BTW I store my slide that way . I store my platic picks on my regular guitars that way too. :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Another thing came up: the bar slants I've been doing, they across 3 strings - say 4th string to 1st string - and one 'fret' to another. BUT, there are some intervals that require, for instance on 3rd to 1st string, a 3 fret span. Or 2 fret. Well okay, like say 3rd fret 3rd string to 5th fret 1st string. It's a sharper angle, but I'm wondering if most guys just skip that and find the interval on another pair of strings.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Those "3frets/3strings" slant are fairly common, and something you should try to control. They can be hard to get perfectly in tune, especially on the first 5 frets where the distance between the frets are longer, so sometimes it takes a little 'cheating'...
The 3-string "split slant" is even worse, if that's a comfort........ ;)

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

...The 3-string "split slant" is even worse, if that's a comfort........ ;)

Steinar
Is that where you try and get 3 in-tune notes with one slant?

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Say you play a G major triad on an open-D tuned guitar, and want a G minor triad. Then you'll have to play strings 1 and 2 on fret 5, while playing string 3 on fret 4. It is actually not physically possible to get this perfectly in tune, but what most do is to push just a little harder on the 2nd string with the bar so it arrives on pitch. So you use the 'nose' of your bar to cover strings 1 and 2 while catching the 3rd string with the side of the bar.

This technique comes in handy in all tunings, I just chose the open-D because that's the most obvious example plus it's the tuning I know best. But even in C6 you will sometimes need to do this...... Have fun! ;)

Steinar

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote