"Carry On" - CSN&Y - weird tuning?

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
20.7 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just bought a copy of Guitar World Acoustic....the one with The Eagles on the cover...and inside there's a tab transcription of "Carry On" from the "Deja Vu" album.

Guitars 2,3 and 4 are in standard tuning down one half step, i.e low to high, Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.....guitar 1 is the weird one, though...E5 tuning, low to high Eb Eb Eb Eb Bb Eb...how would you go about tuning to this? The A string has me baffled...I don't want to tune up half an octave, and I'm sure if I tune down to Eb, it's going to flap in the slightest breeze...

Any ideas?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I know we've covered this before but I can't remember where :oops:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i couldn't find much... http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=430736&lastpost=2004-08-0512:30:37&offset=0

hope it helps

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Maybe the guitarist used a custom set of strings, maybe the A string is thicker then usual to compensate for the lowered tuning. That's my only idea, but i'm not an expert.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Art & Lutherie jogged my memory....I have a vague recollection the post was about "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" which I have in a tab book at home, I think that may be in a similar tuning...

I'll look it up next week...

But I've trawled through every page on Guitar Players discussion and can't find the "Judy" post....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Somebody posted over on the Big Road Blues Forum today about using that "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" tuning, he was looking for chords. He said he'd managed to only break one string while tuning into it. Sounds like a job for custom string gauges and a dedicated guitar to me.

Googling the phrase "Judy Blue Eyes" in quotes and the word "tuning" will bring up a lot of info on a lot of different sites, including this one.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I've had good luck with D_A_D_D_A_D type tuning. You can move the tuning up or down, depending on your need.

It's good for songs like:

Suite Judy Blue Eyes
Carry On
4 & Twenty
Find the Cost of Freedom

fooling around in Stephen Stills mode.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

What if you tuned down and capoed up????

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I play the "live" electric version of "Carry On/Questions" from 4 Way Street. You don't need Stills' open E (tuned down half a step on the studio version) to play it. You could play the studio version in standard tuning if you tune down half a step too. Just play the riff on the top three strings and then play the standard chords when you get to the "Questions" section.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just bought a copy of Guitar World Acoustic....the one with The Eagles on the cover...and inside there's a tab transcription of "Carry On" from the "Deja Vu" album.

Guitars 2,3 and 4 are in standard tuning down one half step, i.e low to high, Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.....guitar 1 is the weird one, though...E5 tuning, low to high Eb Eb Eb Eb Bb Eb...how would you go about tuning to this? The A string has me baffled...I don't want to tune up half an octave, and I'm sure if I tune down to Eb, it's going to flap in the slightest breeze...

Any ideas?

Vic

Open E5 is simple, stings are listed from six to one. Tune as follows: 6) Standard, 5) Tune down to match 6, 4) Tune up two frets from D to E, 3) Tune down to match 4, 2) tune as normal, 1) tune as normal. The reason I brok a string was trying to tune up an octave plus two frets on string 4.

For the tuning you listed which is really E5 down 1 fret or Eb5, tune verything listed down by one fret.

This evening I am going to tune my 12 string to Eb5 for "Love the one your with.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What if you tuned down and capoed up????

You'd be Robert Johnson looking for easier action. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member

Any ideas?

Vic

Open E5 is simple, stings are listed from six to one. Tune as follows: 6) Standard, 5) Tune down to match 6, 4) Tune up two frets from D to E, 3) Tune down to match 4, 2) tune as normal, 1) tune as normal. The reason I brok a string was trying to tune up an octave plus two frets on string 4.

For the tuning you listed which is really E5 down 1 fret or Eb5, tune verything listed down by one fret.

This evening I am going to tune my 12 string to Eb5 for "Love the one your with.

In this and the post which followed, guest would be me.

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey Hogwild, welcome! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member

Hey Hogwild, welcome! :D

Mucho gracias, Senor. :P

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

ReplyQuote
(@dbjacobson)

Hi,
I saw your post re: how to play "Carry On" better.
First, tuning down 1/2 step is really not that rare.
all Van Halen, All Guns and Roses, all Malmsteen....

Here are a few suggestions.
1. Use a slightly heavier gauge of strings. i.e. if you use .10's you could move the entire set up to .11's - or if you use 11's you could change to .12's
2. you could lower the guitar a full step! to D G C F A D, and then capo on the 1st fret.
3. you could ignore the lower tuning - the only negative here is that if you are the singer, you will have to sing 1/2 step HIGHER than the record, which is hard to do well sometimes

In the mean time, I have been looking for that issue and CAN'T find it anywhere. I have a trade offer for you!

You copy CARRY ON for me, you could scan it in and email it to me, and I will deliver to you the entire SUITE JUDY BLUE EYES - fully tabbed - from Guitar Player circa 1992.
Your Thoughts?

Cheers!
Douglas

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2