Clear all

Cool slide!

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got this Big Heart porcelain slide from ebay today. Looks really cool, and is in theory quite versatile since one side is concave, the other straight, and it's even got a narrow edge at the tip of the heart which gives a different sound.

Not sure if this will be the slide for me, is a little light I think, but I need to try it out a bit more, anyway it's a nice additon to my (very small) slide collection! :mrgreen:

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hope that works out well for you. I have a Bigheart aluminum slide I've never found a use for. It's too scratchy, and I've never figured out how one's supposed to use the different radii found around the heart shape, much less the sharp edge. The heart shape's a gimmick I just haven't been able to catch on to.

I have one of Bigheart's "Bronze Bomber" slides on the other hand, (actually I use both on the left hand) that's one of my favorite slides.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hope that works out well for you.

I fear it'll be more of a decoration on the coffee table than my favorite slide. My Dunlop brass slide sounds better to my ears, I think that the porcelain walls are to thin, so there's not enough weight. The downside of the Dunlop is that it's concave and a little to long. I'll probably look for a shorter one, and maybe still heavier next time!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A concave slide works well on steeply arched strings, like a Fender. I usually like a straight one though.

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

One of the cool things about these slides is that you can use the top for sitar simulations. Use the back arch as the slide and use light pressure on the front portion and you will get a sitar-like buzz. If you don't like the aluminum one, Ricochet, let me know and I'll buy it from you. Since GC stopped carrying them it is harder to find them.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll have to hunt and see if I can find it, since my wife's been on a remodeling rampage. I bought it as a closeout from MF several years ago.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Meanwhile, here's a listing for one: http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4636

ReplyQuote