Clear all

e-book: DADGAD / Open-D / Open-G Scottish Guitar

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

EDIT 7/8/07: UPDATED LINKS TO ROB MACKILLOP'S SITE, REMOVED "FREE" FROM SUBJECT LINE

Apparently this chap Rob MacKillop has had some trouble getting his Scottish Guitar book published, so he decided to post the contents online.

The 74-page book is in PDF format, and you can download all 40 MP3s of his arrangements - for free!

Extraordinarily generous, in my opinion.

The tunes are in DADGAD, Open D and Open G, so I'm posting it in the Alternate Tunings forum rather than the giveaways.

Get it here: http://www.rmguitar.info/ScottishGuitar.htm

After reading advice here and elsewhere, I've decided to put my new book online for free. I wrote and recorded it two years ago, and it has been sitting on a publisher's In-Tray since then. And I just can't be bothered trying to sell it myself (the world's worst businessman, I know).

So here it is:
http://www.rmguitar.info/ScottishGuitar.htm

The book has 74 pages, and there are 40 mp3 files. It is the sum of many years researching and performing Scottish lute, cittern and guitar music. The key thing is the performances. There is a continuity of style and technique going back nearly 1,000 years, which I have brought to the modern steel-strung guitar. As I say in the Introduction, this is more Scottish than 'Celtic'.

I would appreciate it if those of you who have websites could provide a link to this page, and those who belong to other discussion groups to make people there aware of the page.

Hope you get something out of it.

Rob

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the link to this Mitch! :D

I've only checked out some of the DADGAD stuff so far, and it looks & sounds really good. Pretty nice of him to offer it up for free! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Thanks much guy.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I tried to go to the link you provided and it keeps giving me an error message! Has anyone else had this problem?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I tried to go to the link you provided and it keeps giving me an error message! Has anyone else had this problem?

I just clicked it again, and it works just fine. Maybe they had a problem earlier.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No problem for me either.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You're welcome. :)

Apparently he did have bandwidth trouble, but all is better now:
Unfortunately (or fortunately!) the demand exceeded my bandwidth - over 1200 downloads in less than 24 hours! - and the site shut down for a few hours. It's up and running now with increased bandwidth.

Just think: in one single day I have earned more money (about 100 pounds) and distributed more books than in four years with Mel Bay!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Got there! And got it! Thanks! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

No probs for me.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Glad some of you were able to grab it. Rob had amazing success with the e-book giveaway, and some resulting problems which forced him to take it down. I swapped a couple of emails with him and he's a genuinely nice guy, so I wish him much success in selling the CD-ROM.

If you're at all into Celtic or Scottish fingerstyle guitar, I highly recommend it. From what I can tell, some of the tunes are at the level of advanced-beginner, others are simply advanced (very!), and most seem geared to intermediate-level guitarists.

This was his post on the Celtic Guitar Talk forum:

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:11 am Post subject: Can't cope!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm stunned at the attention the free online Scottish Guitar book is getting. Over 12,000 downloads IN ONE DAY - over 1,000 emails enquiries and many demands for a CD version of the tunes. It's all too much! I really can't cope. So, I've taken it off the page (some mp3s are still there) and will make it into a CD Rom - sound and text and scores - and sell it cheaply.

Amazingly, some of the email was abusive!

People will probably bad mouth me now for trying to capitalise on the thing...but what can I do? It's been a crazy two days. And the publisher left it on her desk for two years!

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@dwilljo)

can n e one send me the book?

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

If anyone has the DADGAD book, I'd like to have that. I have been away for a bit with an illness and missed the download.

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member

hey i need this book badly, how can i download it??

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Looks like Rob got his own site; here's the updated link:

http://www.rmguitar.info/

Click "Scottish Guitar" once you're there to purchase the e-book.

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member

Looks like Rob got his own site; here's the updated link:

http://www.rmguitar.info/

Click "Scottish Guitar" once you're there to purchase the e-book.

so i can download the mp3 lessons for free, yesssss, thank u soooo much slejhhamer & rob is a great man!

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2