Clear all

Glass or Brass?

36 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Kirk, checked out your SC site, thats just INSANE 8) 8) :D I will check out your lessons for shure!!-the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member

Brass for acoustic; glass for electric or quiet acoustic. 8)

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@hogwldfltr)
Eminent Member

:oops: wrong colum

One from column A and two from column B and my wife would like the Cantonese special.

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, poor boy."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@deaf-david)
Trusted Member

I have a rather large collection of things that can be used for slides. In fact, I have a bad habit of dragging home anything that looks like it will fit my pinky finger.

I've even tried making a slide from wood (osage orange, or hedge apple, as it is known locally). The very hard wood would work if you were playing late at night with light sleepers in the room.

I prefer bronze over brass, but the basic principle of metal for acoustic and glass for electric (I've got probably a dozen ceramic slides, but don't really care for them that much) holds true.

Another big personal preference issue is whether your finger tip should stick beyond the slide, or stay within it--as with a socket wrench. I prefer the tip of my finger to hang out just enough to give me a bit of a grip on the end of the slide. I also prefer my slides to fit snuggly on my pinky, while others like a bit of slop in the fit.

Bottom Line: Try everything you can get your hands on (finger in) and you will find yourself going back and forth.

If it ain't true, it ain't blues.

http://www.soundclick.com/deafdavid

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Lately I've been using a great big brass Dunlop slide quite a bit on electric as well as with my reso. I've even gone back to sliding sometimes with my pinky since participating in some of the eternal "which finger" discussions. I could stick my big toe in the Dunlop, but it works fine with the finger a bit crooked inside it to hold it.

Another that I use on electrics with fairly narrowly spaced strings is a sintered bronze oil-impregnated bushing that I bought at Tractor Supply. Had to smooth it up with 0000 steel wool. It's still got a rougher texture than the brass slide, which isn't as slick as the Craftsman socket. You get different sounds from different surface textures, some are scratchier than others.

I keep rotating slides around, I can't stick with just one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@deaf-david)
Trusted Member

I have those Tractor Supply sleeve bearings laying around everywhere out in the shop (they're really handy in fabricating quick fixes on farm equipment). I had given up on them as slides because they are too big in inner diameter for my skinny pinky.

About a week ago I tried the foam insulation with peel off tape on one side, stuck to the inner surface of the slide. This was suggested over on BRB. It actually works pretty well, the foam being very shape conforming, and all.

I now use that sleeve bearing with my Cigar Box Guitars for slide. It has that scrathier sound that seems to go well with the CBG raw sound. They also have fewer strings, so the shorter slide length is no problem.

Its good to be surrounded by options.

If it ain't true, it ain't blues.

http://www.soundclick.com/deafdavid

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I tend to like the scratchier sounding slides better on electrics, the slicker ones better on acoustics. But not long ago I saw someone say exactly the opposite. It's just a matter of personal preference.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I tend to like the scratchier sounding slides better on electrics, the slicker ones better on acoustics.

I'm the opposite, well, half the opposite... I like a smoother sound on both...

Duane Allman was smoothe, and has was mainly electric
Son House and Robert Johnson were scratchier, (well, at least Son House, but that was because he had a resonator) and they were mainly acoustic.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

I'm pretty new to slide playing, but echo the "metal for acoustic, glass for electric" theory. I also prefer the tighter fit.

I'm also discovering that I actually have more control over a heavier slide, although intuition says it should be the opposite. This is especially true for vibrato.

I'm especially fond of the looks I get at the hardware store and flea markets when I'm sticking my finger into sockets, pipes, bottles and thinking "I wonder if THIS would make a good slide". Most people look at me like I'm crazy, but every once in a while someone will just grin and nod at me.

When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Plz don't forget the Copper Tibing 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Plz don't forget the Copper Tibing 8)

TUBING,sorry about the spelling :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, Rabbit, good to see you!

I've been trying to forget copper tubing. Just doesn't do it for me. Too light and too scratchy. Different strokes for different folks, though!
:P

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The price has always been Right: "NO CHARGE", I guess you get what you pay for... :twisted:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3