Clear all

How to think in other tunings?

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@alien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alternate tunings scare me a lot. Like everyone else, I've mostly been playing the standard 5 scale patterns in standard tuning.

Lately someone suggested I try out some different patterns in standard tuning, based on 3 notes per string. I gues it's sort of a shredder thing. The patterns you end up with don't fit as neatly in one position, but mentally the rule is very easy to follow - 3 notes per string.

After getting these new patterns under my fingers, I tried the same idea out on open G and D tunings. The patterns stay similar but with some big ugly "jogs" in them. I can't play them very well but at least I kinda know where to find stuff (like "where did that 9th go?"). Is this a trick slide players use?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's one way to do it. Open G is identical to standard on strings 2-4. Notes on the other strings are 2 frets closer to the bridge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's one way to do it. Open G is identical to standard on strings 2-4. Notes on the other strings are 2 frets closer to the bridge.

Huh? I'm interpreting that as F#BDGBF# (low => high)

Do you mean further from the bridge, as in DGDGBD ?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

No, those strings are a full tone lower, so you have to go closer to the bridge to get the same note fretted. So the tuning you show (DGDGBD) is right, and now you have to fret the second fret of the 6th string to get an E rather than leave it open (2 frets closer to the bridge), fret the 4th fret of the 5th string to get a B rather than the 2nd (2 closer to the bridge), and so on.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Exactly.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, here's a VERY helpful resource for visualizing scales and chords in any 6-string tuning:
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's why I like playing in open G - it's easy enough to play a blues solo on strings 2 3 and 4, as they're the same as in EADGBE. Start with the root note of the chord - so if you're playing in the key of E, over an E chord, there's an E note at the 9th fret of the G string. If you're used to A-shaped barre chords, it's bang in the middle of the triad on the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings.

Funny thing is, when I'm noodling about playing slide in standard tuning, I'm always drawn to that double stop on the first and second strings, three notes up from the root note on the 3rd string.....ie

E chord in standard....7 7 9 9 9 7
Double stop.............x x 9 9 12 12

E chord in open G .....9 9 9 9 9 9 (for reference)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

No, those strings are a full tone lower, so you have to go closer to the bridge to get the same note fretted. So the tuning you show (DGDGBD) is right, and now you have to fret the second fret of the 6th string to get an E rather than leave it open (2 frets closer to the bridge), fret the 4th fret of the 5th string to get a B rather than the 2nd (2 closer to the bridge), and so on.

okay -- then the description refers to standard tuning being closer to the bridge on those strings. I assume Ric knows the tunings, but as described, it is ambiguous to someone who may not : it could be read either way, . I suggest we avoid confusing those who are learning to spell tunings and chords by providing the actual tuning.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No Gary, you're still not getting it. If you're used to standard tuning and retune to Open G, on the altered strings you'll find the same notes two frets closer to the bridge than where you were used to playing them in standard tuning. Strings 2-4 will still have the same notes in the same places. Try it and see, it just takes a minute. Open G, from low to high, is DGDGBD.

Vic, in Open E the first two strings (and the sixth) are the same as in standard, so that double stop is still there.
(Low to high, EBEG#BE)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

we all know what we mean when we write it, but the second sentence above is ambiguous, as it doesn't say which notes -- those for open G or for standard tuning. this might confuse newbies who are not that familiar with the fretboard.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Fretboard in open-G:

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK Gary, I see what you're saying. But it was a reply to someone who said he was used to playing in standard, had tried playing in other tunings like Open G and D, and found that his familiar patterns from standard had some "ugly jogs" in them. I thought that the idea of translating standard tuning positions to the new tuning was obviously what was being asked about. Whatever, it's been made abundantly clear in several followup posts. And anyone who'll follow that link to the Chordhouse will hold the keys to the kingdom of alternate tunings.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

yep all is clear ... except maybe that my name is "Greg"

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oops! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

no prob -- will just use "Gary" as my picayune, noob-advocating alter ego.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2