Skip to content
Interest in a multi...

Notifications
Clear all

Interest in a multi-style slide music camp?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Dobro/lap steel great Orville Johnson has posted this on a couple of other forums, and I thought I should post it here as well;

...................................................................................................

I have a question for all dobro, lap steel, bottleneck and pedal steel players. A friend of mine who is a director of music camps wants to do a week-long camp this summer, probably in mid-July, devoted to slide guitar in these various forms. He’s got a budget, a facility, all the stuff you need to make it happen and is working on the staffing right now. The idea is to have instructors for dobro, lap steel (possibly Sacred Steel), bottleneck, country steel (hopefully both non-pedal and pedal) and Hawaiian.

So the thing he needs to find out is if 60 to 80 people will show up for something like this. If it’s successful it could become an annual event. I love the idea myself and I suggested posting this query at the different internet forums I’m familiar with to see what the interest might be. I’m not asking for suggestions on the staff or programming. Right now the question is " Given that there will be well-known, excellent instructors, it will be a week long, cost will come down between 7 and 9 hundred (tuition, room and food) which is about mid-range for this type of camp and it will be in a scenic, pleasant, non-urban location, would you attend something like this?"

I’m putting this up on the places I know of that might include interested parties. If you know someplace that I don’t (eminently possible) feel free to cut and paste it up there and drop me a email via my website orvillejohnson.com to let me know where it is so I can go look at the response. Thanx a lot for your help and I hope my friend and his organization can make this happen - OrvilleJ

.............................................................................................

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

I'd love to go to Norway for any reason Steinar :-) To see you play would be as good of a reason as any.

My first thought was about camping out and wondering if they have Ravens over there.

As for any seminars, not at all affordable for me, so I have to learn how to play without instruction. This is OK
(watch out!) LOL.

Hey, what about some ancient Viking music?

I had a 'vision' once (we can call it a vivid dream) a long time ago in 1967, about Vikings arriving on the shores of N. America, and as they were pulling their boats up onto the shore they were singing a chant. I still remember it and if I meditated on it I could possibly remember more and get into tune with it again.

I have wondered for all this time, if what I heard was a real Viking language and a real ancient chant, or somethng else. Maybe someday I will know.

I met some elderly people here who came from Norway, working with the Native Americans on the Salmon catch. I thought the old man was in part, of Native American descent, because of his appearance and his accent. He told me he was from Norway.

Maybe he was of Sami descent or 'Laplanders' (indigenous people of the north of the Scandinavian peninsula). The Reindeer people.

I ajm just curious about thses sorts of things. What does it have to do with music? 'Traditional music' that's what it has to do with.

Sorry this does not focus on your topic, but thyis is what came to mind when considering Norway. That led to Viking Music and Traditional Music, from there and here.

There is a wealth of stuff hidden in these cultures.

Well, have a nice winter over there, Steinar.

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Phangeaux - OBS OBS OBS - the camp is NOT in Norway, it'll be somewhere in the Seattle region I think. Orville wrote something about that in a post on another forum, it would probably be in the north/west region. So it's right there in your neighborhood! 8)

I believe Icelandic is probably the language that is closest to what the Vikings spoke, so if you come across any ancient Icelandic music you may recognize the music from your, eh, 'dream'... (in '67 you say? :lol: )

And yeah, the similarities between the Sami people and the Native Americans are strong and plenty,- both in culture, music and religion. It's almost as if they originate from the same frozen region in the North, then the Native Americans travelled southwest and found American mainland, while the Sami people travelled southeast and found Scandinavia...

Check out this interview with Sami/worldmusic artist Mari Boine:
http://www.rootsworld.com/scanfest/boine.html

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

the camp is NOT in Norway, it'll be somewhere in the Seattle region I think.

Thank you very much for the clarification on proposed location, SG. (I like your initials so I may use those rather than first name).

This is a fine area to have such a seminar, the economy is strong relative to other parts of the USA so alot more people could afford it.

I live across the water (Puget Sound) on the Kitsap Peninsula (Olympic Mountain range over here) probably about 35km from downtown Seattle as the Raven flies, or 1 hr via the nearest ferry terminal.

I was once a very social aquarian adventurer but have become a reclusive hermit. I live in silence virtually of the time except for when I play music. Playing music, therefore is an ideal way of life, and what I have chosen to do with my time and space.

Being a recluse I don't know many local musicians, but I know of one person who could be a key person to contact regarding this proposed seminar, so I will forward the information this evening.

As I mentioned before, I can't afford it, but WAIT, that is an ignorant and self defeating way for me to think.

MUSIC IS MAGIC!~!!

Anything can happen with music! I'll get out in public somewhere and play my Tricone and you know, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Some guys in a big armored truck might stop and give me a big bag full of money, or I might get invited to a mansion up in Beverly hills and be given a new Jaguar or Massarratti to drive around LA. Maybe I will meet a pack of stray dogs and they will lead me to a hidden treasure down by the railroad tracks, or like in the movie 'Won Ton Ton' actress Madeleine Khan finds a stray dog who becomes a Movie Star and she makes it to the top by being the owner caretaker of 'Won Ton Ton' .

You never know what's going to happen because MUSIC IS MAGIC!~!!

I wish I was in LA, around Hollywood and the film industry, although some of it has moved to Arizona and that would be fine too.

I believe Icelandic is probably the language that is closest to what the Vikings spoke, so if you come across any ancient Icelandic music you may recognize the music from your, eh, 'dream'... (in '67 you say? :lol: )

Thanks for that important lead, someday I will delve into this alot further. I did find alot of information, artifacts and cultural items pertaining to the Vikings in earlier searches and it was quite interesting, also in that they arrived in North America about a thousand years ago, so they are very likely to have left influences, includig some genetics. They left the offspring from their dogs for example. Viking records from 1050 show that they travelled here with large dogs called 'Black Bear Dogs' presumably used for hunting bears. These are believed to have been the Great Pyranees breed. They also record the Native Americans as having web footed swimming dogs (which they used to retrieve floats on fishing nets and other work). It is believed that the Vikings dogs and the wb footed swimming dogs of the Natives interbred and that the two existing breeds that resulted are the Newfoundlands and the Labrador Retrievers.
It is also possible that they mated with Natives on occasion.

I'll see what I can find later on Icelandic music and possibly some Viking music.
And yeah, the similarities between the Sami people and the Native Americans are strong and plenty,- both in culture, music and religion. It's almost as if they originate from the same frozen region in the North, then the Native Americans travelled southwest and found American mainland, while the Sami people travelled southeast and found Scandinavia...

Very interesting SG. I have ancestors from a tribe that for the past 10,000 years at least, (oral history and traditions go back that far and beyond) inhabitted the whole of what is now defined geographically as Canada. Today the tribe is known as the Ojibwe, aka Chippewa of the Great Lakes region. Interestingly, my direct ancestors came from a clan which is uncommon in historic times (post discovery) but is the 'Carribou Clan' or 'Reindeer Clan' (same animal) Possibly just a coincidence.

Actual connections with Sami culture, if they exist, might be drawn from the Spiritual traditions, eg: 'The Grand Medicine Society' in English translation, but these teachings are very well protected and kept very very secret from persons outside of the various levels of priests within the medicine society. I know that their teachings include oral traditions that go back 10,000 years and I have heard some that go back to the earliest times of cave dwelling groups and when man was developing very early knowlege of survival. It is amazing that some of this still survives the devastation of the European conquest, and this is one of the reasons why these traditions are so strongly protected and kept secret.

I am going to be looking for some reindeer bells, sliegh bells for my collection of noise making items for music. I just gave some small ones away, I'll be looking for some big ones.

Thank you very much for the url below, I can hardly wait to see it. I have a friend in Sweden and she is of Sami decent so I'll send this to her also.

Thanks, SG.

Steinar

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

Steinar
I apologize for this being so far off topic but I greatly enjoyed reading the interview, so many close parallels to the Native American experience.

This pretty smiling lady reminded me so much of a very dear and beloved friend of mine who I had lost contact with for 20 years. She is an extraordinary Native American vocalist and story teller, Georgia Wettlin-Larsen, from Minneapolis, MN. She has done cultural performances, stories and music on National Public Television. After reading the interview with Mari Boine I did a search and was finally able to find a contact address for my friend. She is a beautiful person and has extaordinary vocal abilities.

Here is a very small sample of Georgia's singing voice, this is in Lakota language, recorded for Smithsonian Folkways. She is the third performer from the top the sound file is Lakota.wav just below her photo.
http://research.umbc.edu/eol/hofmann/hofmann.html

Here is an Educational CD by Georgia: http://www.alliesmediaart.com/Sky.htm

Thank you Steinar, one reason why I don't mind wandering off topic, you never know what will happen, in this case I found a long lost friend

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I enjoy your enthusiasm, VP! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote