Skip to content
Not uncommon tuning...

Notifications
Clear all

Not uncommon tunings, but uncommon usage?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Judging by the previous posts, the general interest of this particular section seems to be acoustic blues, with a smattering of other styles ranging from country to classic rock. But I was wondering if any of you gentlemen/ladies were interested in a couple of, perhaps, lesser known aspects of alternate tunings?

For instance, there's a Canadian dude by the name of Devin Townsend who has done some pretty amazing metal and hard rock albums predominantly using Open C tuning (CGCGCE)

There are, of course, plenty of metal bands who drop tune standard and dropped D style tunings, but I wouldn't really consider them "alternate" per se...

The other "lesser known" side of alternate tunings (at least, to this board) comes from a record label called Candyrat, who host many fingerstyle-acoustic players who play in tunings for which I don't think there are names...

Just wondering if any of you share these interests? It would definitely be wonderful to learn some of these songs properly, or at least, the proper tunings so I can have a good start.

--For instance, there's a Joe Walsh song called "Comin' Down" from the Barnstorm album that I've been trying to figure out, but I can't for the life of me get the right tuning. I know he's known for both Open G and E tunings, but I've tried G, E, and D and nothing sounds right so far...

Anyway, I ramble. I'm interested to hear your responses :)

Tone is subjective.

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFDjYxj8VJU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcfDxq8Zw5A

Devin Townsend. Hot stuff -- real tasty. Not my usual stylistic cup of tea, but I'll listen to more. Great playing transcends tunings & styles. There's no reason one can't play anything on a tuned guitar -- or any guitar, for that matter. Or with a slide. Life's too short to get locked down by conventions.

I would never have found out about Townsend without your post, XPV. Welcome to the forums.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Glad to be of service :)

If you want to hear my current favorite solo, check out his song "Deep Peace." Goosebumps.

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote