Open B Tuning

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
25.2 K Views
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been using the Open B tuning for just over 6 months now (B F# B F# B D). I used to use a drop D then decided to try going lower to get a more bass heavy sludge sound. Now that I am used to using this tuning I can't seem to stop! it sounds great with a powerful overdriven sound but also quite unusual when played clean with some delay, has quite a spooky sound. You have to spend some time playing with the EQ on the amp to get a tighter sound so the big open chords don't turn in to a muddy mess.

Does anybody else use an unusual low tuning? and what musical style do you use it for?

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What string gauges are you using for that?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I use a pretty heavy gauge set. Usually the Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinkys". They are 12, 16, 24P, 32, 44, 56. These strings are suited to low tunings but also take a lot of battering as you can imagine they do :)

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I just realized that's just Open C tuned down a half step. Except the D on the first string, which is down a whole step, so that's a B minor tuning.

I like to use the minor variants of Open D/E and Open G.

Normal Open C is (from low to high) CGCGCE. Puts a very low bass string in, tuned down a major third from the E in standard, the fourth and fifth strings are down a whole step, and the second string is up a half step. I used to shy away from it when I had super heavy strings on my reso, because I was afraid of breaking the first string tuned up to E and the second string on C. Would've worked great in your tuning, though.

I'll have to mess with Open C now that I'm using more "normal" string gauges. The bass strings will be a bit floppy.

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I keep a stock of .070's for that. Let me know if you need one to experiment with.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, I've got some. Used to keep .017-.070 strings on my reso for Open D and G. Had each string gauged to the maximum I thought I could get away with in the higher of the pitches (where they differed) used in either of those tunings. Finally realized the downforce of the heavy strings took up the compliance of my cones, and that the guitar is louder and sounds better with light strings. Now I use .012-.052" electric strings on it. The heavy strings will go on a lap steel.

ReplyQuote