Clear all

open tuning

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im new to open tuning , can any of u suggest me a song to start off in open tuning?? will be a great help....
peace out

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I leave me Tele in open-G. With it, I play some Stones tunes. I also understand that Johnny Lee Hooker used that tuning quite extensively. I need to get off my butt and do some of his stuff too.

Anyhow, a few Stones songs that are pretty simple and fun.

Start Me Up
Happy (There's a lesson for this song on the GN site. If you can't find, I'll hunt down the link for you.)
Honky Tonk Woman
You Can't Always Get What You Want (Look in the Easy Song forum for this one. There's like 3 versions and one of them is in open-G)
Brown sugar

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My Squier Tele's in open G. I also play Stones tunes with it!

Add "No Expectations" to rparker's list - the chords are easy enough, and the slide parts aren't too complicated either. Another great song in open G is Vigilante Man - I've got versions of that by Woody Guthrie, Springsteen, Ry Cooder and Nazareth. I'm forever messing around with that song trying to create MY version!

Also, while you're in open G, check out George Thorogood - fun, and not too difficult. "Get A Haircut And Get A Real Job" (two things the Mrs is always on at me about....) is pretty easy.

And don't be afraid to experiment!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

And don't be afraid to experiment!

Vic

Yeah, that's right. I do 'It's Only Rock and Roll' once in a while on it instead of standard tuning.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Put it in Open E and try your hand at some Duane Allman riffs. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Put it in Open E and try your hand at some Duane Allman riffs. :D

Or some Joe Walsh or Derek Trucks riffs while you're there.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote