Clear all

popular slide guitar players

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Check out Sonny Landreth and Scott Colby. I'm sure there are many others who use this 'fret-behind-the-slide' technique, but these are the two names that comes to mind at 4:40 in the morning....

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

Have a listen to my tracks at soundclick.com walters ... you may enjoy some of it.

http://www.soundclick.com/kirklorange

Cheers,

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

David Tronzo is a jazz player who specializes in slide on a metal-bodied Dobro; he uses every trick in the book to play any and all of the 7th, extended, and altered chords that you'd find in a lot of jazz. I'm not certain of the tuning(s) he employs, but I think it's Standard.

I'm not sure at all of the techniques he uses, but Derek Trucks manages to sound very free, fluid, and harmonically complex while fitting into the song's key and chord-movements perfectly.

Try this download; it'll take a long time, especially if you're on dial-up like me, but trust me, it's worth it! THIS IS SUCH GREAT MUSIC HERE!!

CLONK :arrow: DEREK TRUCKS BAND LIVE '04

I believe that he's playing a new, custom/reissue Gibson SG (tuned to Open-E) with a "medicine-bottle" slide, through an old "blackface" Fender Super reverb 40-watt 4x10. No effects or mechanical bending devices.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Have a listen to my tracks at soundclick.com walters ... you may enjoy some of it.Yep, Kirk IS one of the masters!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He's got one named "No Apostrophe," which I haven't heard. Come to think of it, I probably ought to get that. I've watched and listened to his online videos and MP3s and been just blown away by them for a good while. His website mentions his album, probably has a link to it: http://www.kirklorange.com/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He posts new ones weekly. Look on his site and follow the links. The videos show his hands very clearly so you can see what he's doing.

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

Hey, Ricochet- Did you ever check out that particular live Derek Trucks Band download that I posted a link to back there?

(It's the same one that was listed in Diamond Dust's "Top 20 Blues Shows"-thread over on the Guitar Player Forum. If you haven't- do yourself a favor and download it and soak it all in a.s.a.p.! You'll love it, I promise...)

I'm sure that he's doing both slide and fretted guitar technique there, but whether it's all alternating or including some behind-the-slide fretwork, I'm uncertain. What do you think?

Either way, it's a stellar example of slide on an electric-guitar in an interactive group setting.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm thinking he's likely in standard tuning. The slide stuff I'm hearing is all single-note or double-stop stuff that could be done in standard. Great sounding stuff!

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

Please, forgive the seeming contradiction, but according to his official 'site, he does everything in Open-E; I meant to include that in my post back there, sorry for any confusion!

Regardless of tunings or techniques, I think that it's an excellent example of MUSICALLY choosing what to play to sit perfectly within the context of a tune, and not sound stereotypical, either. It doesn't sound like any one particular style of music or guitar playing, it's just very good music!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Eric Sardinias is another good one

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Please, forgive the seeming contradiction, but according to his official 'site, he does everything in Open-E; I meant to include that in my post back there, sorry for any confusion!
OK, thanks!

He's definitely not playing the stereotypical blues licks.

He's got a second guitarist (non-slide) backing him up, and I just love the Hammond playing! I've heard him introduce those guys, but the names went in one ear and out the other. (I'm still a little jumpy, I had a barrage of lightning strikes all around the house a few minutes ago. Didn't lose power or get zapped myself, though!)

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

"Eric Sardinias is another good one"

Y'know, I've yet to actually hear him, but by all accounts I really should. He appears to be a real maverick, individualist kinda player, and one that probably has some real bad-@$$3d chops!

Can you recommend either some sample-clips online so I can get a better idea what he actually sounds like, or which album would be a good introduction, teleplayer?
"He's definitely not playing the stereotypical blues licks.

He's got a second guitarist (non-slide) backing him up, and I just love the Hammond playing! I've heard him introduce those guys, but the names went in one ear and out the other. (I'm still a little jumpy, I had a barrage of lightning strikes all around the house a few minutes ago. Didn't lose power or get zapped myself, though!)"

Lightning, eh? What, were you playin' some Hubert Sumlin/Howlin' Wolf stuff? "Smokestack", anyone? :wink:

I'll have to give the "band-members-intro" segment a good listen again; I had wondered about a second guitarist there myself, but had thought that it was keyboards and his guitar blending together and going back-and-forth; there are definitely some parts where they do that, and to great effect. Maybe the singer plays some guitar on the instrumentals, Idunno... the 'site only lists Derek on guitars, and sarod, as well!

Either way, if it's one guitar, its some damn fine playing; if it's two at times, it's some damn fine interplay! Stellar musicianship no matter how you slice it, and live, too.

:idea: Now, in case this seems "off-topic", I'll point out again that a player's musical sensibilities- not style, but thought-out choices deliberately used to work within the tune's context- are every bit as important a factor as tunings, string-gauges, etc. Ya remember that old saw about seeing "obstacles and limitations" as "oportunities and challenges", instead? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Give a listen to Warren Haynes from Gov't Mule & The Allman Bros Band.
Between him and Derek Trucks, they've got it all. They took it to the next level from Duane Allman.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Ry Cooder is another.

Sonny Landreth appears with Mark Knopfler on the Night in London DVD for 3 songs I believe, some really good close ups.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

"Eric Sardinias is another good one"

Y'know, I've yet to actually hear him, but by all accounts I really should. He appears to be a real maverick, individualist kinda player, and one that probably has some real bad-@$$3d chops!

Can you recommend either some sample-clips online so I can get a better idea what he actually sounds like, or which album would be a good introduction, teleplayer?

Check out his website http://www.ericsardinas.com/pages/discography.html each of his 3 albums have links to hear some of his stuff

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2