Clear all

PRS Singlecut for Slide

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tpb1962)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a PRS Singlecut SE. It is the Korean model. All the reviews seem to be positive and it sounded pretty good in the store. I play mostly slide.

Has anyone ever used or seen this type of guitar for slide?

Has anyone replaced the pickups on this type of guitar? I have a SD Antiquity Neck PU in my current guitar and wonder if that would work with the PRS.

I am fairly new to slide and like to try Allman, Trucks type of stuff.

Thanks,
T.

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I haven't heard the guitar personally, but looking at the specs, it seems perfect for the Allman sound, depending on how it's amped and played, and a screaming deal to boot. And you can always change pickups.

What's your current rig?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@tpb1962)
Topic starter  

Hello Crow,

I currently have a ESP EC-50. It has the SD Antiquity in the neck. I use GHS Boomers 11's. The amp I have is a Vox VT15.

Sounds decent for my level but not really there for the tone I'm looking for. I was thinking of trying my current guitar on a Blues Jr. amp and also the Singlecut through a Blues Jr. to see how they did.

Thanks,
T.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Hard to duplicate another player's sound. If I were going for an Allman/Trucks sound, I'd go for humbuckers with tone slightly rolled back, into a Marshall-flavored amp or amp model (you probably have one on the Vox), using a lightweight glass slide and no picks. You might try that combo with the ESP, if you haven't already.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote