Clear all

slide tunings

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 oud
(@oud)
Topic starter  

Anyone care to share their expiriments with unusual slide tunings,try this one DADF#GD

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One I've used a lot that's fairly uncommon is Open G minor, DGDGBbD.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hmm... I'll try that...

I mainly use Open G and Open E, but I'm not much of a slide player anyway... :(

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

I've liked a number of different tunings for fretted fingerstyle, but generally prefer Open-D and standard for slide.

One great thing about Open-D is that you can raise the 3rd-string a half-step to G for "DADGAD", or lower it a half-step to F for Dm.

I know, not all that exotic, right? Throw in some picking-hand artificial harmonics on slide-notes, some behind-the-slide-fretting, and a little slanted-slide and you'll get more miles outta them ol' dogs...

ReplyQuote
(@fantasticsound)

What the heck were you doing up at 4:54am, K? :D

I have to pull the slides out and try mastering 'em again. :?

That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

I've always wondered why minor open tunings seem to be so rare. You get a major chord with one finger at the first fret of the appropriate string. With a major chord open tuning, you have to stretch a bit and mute to get a minor, if I understand correctly. I think baroque lutes were tuned to Gm. I wonder if that's why.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you're playing bottleneck slide in a major open tuning, it's no problem to get the minor by fretting the string tuned to the third one fret behind the slide. In my Star Spangled Banner that I put up on Soundclick a few days ago, that's how I did the E minor second verse in Open E. (Did a few Bsus4s by fretting that string ahead of the slide, too.)

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

Makes sense. I guess the only time you have to shift position is if you want to try to play the minor of the tuned chord in open position, which probably isn't often.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Right. Then it's easy to play it with the minor third on a string tuned to the root, on the third fret, and skip the string tuned to the major third. Did that, too, in that SSB. (Which can be found here: http://www.soundclick.com/johnculp ) I haven't put much up there yet, and if you listen you'll find I'm pretty much a noob to this stuff, too. I'm having loads of fun with it, though!
:P

ReplyQuote
(@resonut)

Here's Some Open Tunings: (Low to High) that I have tried and like!!!
I'll probably do some recodrings this coming winter w/a few of them?

Jimmy Page-Bronyraur Stomp C F C F A f
C#: C# G# C# G# C# f
Jazzy C#: C# G# C# G# B e
Other C#- C# F# C# F# A# C# (Nice- Fngpkg/slide)
Dave Wilcox Eb tuning: Eb A C# E A B [Nice!]
Tropical: D A D F# B d
Otis Taylor- D G D G G d (Lo-Hi Moody/Dark)
KJ Phelps- D A D G C e

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Another nice one is the Dmaj7 tuning - DADF#AC#. First time I sat down with it I ended up writing a complete tune ("Northern Lights" on my website)...

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll have to check that out. I've just played around a little and sounded like some of that "New Age" stuff. D7 is a cool tuning, just tuning the first string in Open D down to C. I was taught to play Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Mr. Banker" in that when I was starting out.

ReplyQuote
(@caevan-oeshcte)
Trusted Member

"What the heck were you doing up at 4:54am, K?" :D
I had been asleep, with some of Bro' Diamond Dust's recommended listening downloading in slow-mo' over my 56k dial-up, and just got up to check it and musta sleep-walked on over here... y'know how it is. No, wait, it's sound-man, not sand-man, right? >yawn<

"I have to pull the slides out and try mastering 'em again." :?
Yeah, you'd BETTER! BEST get to STEPPIN' on that Mr. Sound-Man! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@deaf-david)
Trusted Member

I tend to be very lazy about changing tunings. I will go through spells playing only in open G, then D, then maybe a D minor. I'm not playing out, so it doesn't matter. Mainly I stay in D or G, sometimes using a capo for E or A.

But, I've recently gotten a couple of Cigar Box Guitars, one a three string, the other three "guitar" strings and one bass string on a separate neck placed close enough to reach all four strings with a slide.

On these things I find that I'm always fiddling with the tunings, just twisting the machine heads looking for something that sounds cool. Sometimes I then use a tuner to see what I've found. Its pretty fun and every new tuning opens up new possibilities.

Someday I may get adventuresome, and confident, enough to try that with my six stringers.

If it ain't true, it ain't blues.

http://www.soundclick.com/deafdavid

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey David, I'll bet there are folks on here who don't know about CBGs. You might want to start a thread on that and enlighten them.
:D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2