Clear all

slide(ing) bar chords

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

can you use a slide to do bar chords? it seems like it would be easier than using your finger. but i've never used a slide before

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you mean in an open tuning, sure! That's the basis of slide playing. The I chord is open strings or barred at the 12th fret, the IV chord is on the 5th fret, the V is on the 7th fret, and the 3rd fret is especially useful as a transition between the 5th fret and open strings. You can play a lot of blues with nothing but that, and it'll just take you a few minutes to learn the basics!

In standard tuning, using the slide for barre chords would mean putting the slide on your index finger, which isn't commonly done. You can't damp the strings behind the slide, or fret strings behind the slide for modified barre chords in open tunings.

Most folks wear their slide either on the pinky or ring finger. Opinions are strong and arguments rage over which is best. I'm a longtime ring finger slider, but pinky sliding has its advantages and I go back and forth between both. There are certain things I can do with one but not the other, and I'll change fingers depending on the tune.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

say i wanted to do a barre F chord could i put a slide on my index finger and use the others to do the appropriate fingerings? it seems like it would get a better sound and less finger problems

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Try it and see. You might like it. You probably won't, though. The strings between the slide and nut will be ringing undamped, muddying up the sound. You usually want to be lightly touching the strings "above" the slide with another finger or fingers to damp those unwanted vibrations. Also remember that with a slide you're putting it directly over the fret to get the note, not in the space behind the fret, and you don't press the strings down against a fret with the slide. You press just enough to keep the slide in contact with the strings without buzzing. A very light touch, generally.

Sliding in standard tuning is IMO an advanced technique. You have to be very good at muting all the strings besides the ones you're playing. It's easy to have dissonant strings ringing out. In an open tuning any strings that are ringing are harmonious, and you have more leeway. It's also easier to come up with accompaniment for playing by yourself, playing bass rhythm with the thumb.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok i'll get a slide and try it

thankx

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Let us know how it turns out.

There's plenty of other fun stuff you can do with a slide! :D

ReplyQuote
(@haggardslider)

Like Ricochet, I alternate fingers for different things. Primarilly I use my middle finger. Why? For me, this allows you to have your index, ring, and pinky for fretting notes. You also have your strongest finger behind the slide to dampen. I also tend to bang my slide against the neck a lot when it is on my pinky. (I have a very long/thin pinky finger)

I find this to be the best for standard tuning, because you can play bar chord shuffle rythms quite easilly, and you will find that you have a little more control then with the slide on your pinky.

It works well for open tunings as well.

Try it out! Most people will tell you that you are hurting yourself by putting it on the middle finger, but I break it down like this.

Pinky finger slide = 3 fingers available
Middle finger slide= 3 fingers availabe

It is all about how big your spand, and your hand are. Everyone has different hands.

"Whoever said that college kids can't play the blues, hasn't seen a 6 year tuition bill."

-the haggard slider

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, there's no one "right answer" for which finger to wear the slide on, regardless of what some folks insist.

I've seen Bonnie Raitt slide with her middle finger, and I watched Billy Gibbons doing the same a while back. That's how he did "LaGrange," with an Open A tuned guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, hell, Ricochet!!! The number of tabs I've seen for "La Grange" and NOT ONE of them has ever suggested that a ) it was in an open tuning or b ) it was done on slide...

Thanks for that, I'll have to give it a try....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He played the main riff with his unencumbered index and ring fingers on the third and fifth frets, simple barring, with of course the open strings. Easy as pie. The slide came into use on the solo.
:D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I messed a little bit last night with barre chords, using a slide on the index finger. The first problem that you notice is that there are a whole load of "back noises" coming from the strings, between nut and slide. You have no way to damp them, like in normal slide playing.
The sound, altogether, was also a little strange. The slide produces tones that are livelier than a nut, set against the slightly toned-down sound of fretted notes. I was using a glass slide, so a metal one would be that much more pronounced.

The greatest problem is that your fingers have to be placed behind the fret, but the slide has be OVER the fret - for example, an E shape, with the slide right over one fret and the middle finger trying to find space to fret behind the next one up is a bit of a challenge.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have not got my slide yet but it looks as if I'd be better off playing the barre chords with my finger instead. i played a frineds guitar this past weekend and it went alot better. I think my frets are just too worn down

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I play with my slide on my middle finger, it gives me the advantage of having my index finger to mute behind the slide as well as being able to bar a chord with my index and still have my ring and pinky free to augment the barred chord

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing my barre chords alot more and I think i'm finally getting the hang of them, so i may not need a slide. Still i wanna see how it does

ReplyQuote