Clear all

So Now What? Slide Newbie

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I picked up a brass slide at the GASworks the other day...now what? Who can direct me to some beginner's resources for acoustic slide guitar? I'm more interested in the old blues sound, but I won't kick anything out the door at this point. I've only been playing for a few months, so I'm a beginner in general on the guitar, and really don't have the budget for private lessons, so I'm counting on y'all for guidance and I just know you'll come through! TIA
-Indy

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I am sure you will get lots of varying responses to your question, so keep in mind that what I say is an opinion. Start by tuning your guitar to an open chord, like E or D. If you picture the fretboard like a guitar fretboard in standard tuning, it will really confuse you; Place the slide along all 6 strings and you will be playing the open chord in whatever position you are in. Wit hthe slide you will find the your single note lines will be slightly hard to get used to on the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings but the others are about what you are accustomed to and your lines on the B and E strings are easy to use as a baseline to start your line. To this day I tend to start a solo section on the high notes due to this!
Realizing that you have to play one fret forward on the third string and 2 frets forward on the 4th and 5th is easy to say and comprehend but takes time in practice. You will find that 2 note harmonies and slants- where you slant the slide at an angle across the strings to get different intervals. That takes time and practice to get the intonation right but can be very rewarding. I hadn't seen a slide player doing slants until I saw Derek Trucks not too long ago use slants on a tricky jazz passage.
So there ya go! Check out Will Ray's instructional video, as well as some of the lap steel instruction around- different tunings and techniques translate well from one instrument to the other.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are some very basic introductory slide lessons linked off of the main page at: http://bigroadblues.com/ (The forum on there is my other favorite hangout besides GN.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So the adventure begins..thanks, and keep the tips coming!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the first thing I did was to de- mystify the new fret board because of the new open tuning.
I took a pencil and note paper and wrote down the note on each fret on each string up the fretboard.
then it was easy to see the triads. those familiar chords. cool power chords up and down the neck.
knowing there are blues notes around triads (chords) I searched them out. they where everywhere. sometimes all close together.
mysterious fretboard solved!
next us your ear and find a song.
enjoy slide. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My approach to slide was rather basic.....this goes back about 30 years, so bear with me.....

I was trying to work out the slide solo on Lennon's version of "Stand By Me"....I was told the chords were G, Em C and D....

So I tried it in standard tuning....

The G, C and D chords....you can play the root, third and fifth notes at the 12th, 5th and 7th frets on the D G and B strings...the Em, you can also play at the 12th using the G B and E strings......

Then I got told you could actually tune to open G.....tried that.....

Found I could play the slide parts to Nazareth's versions of "Vigilante Man" and "This Flight Tonight" using open G.....

fast forward to a couple of years ago, I found out you can actually play chords in open tuning.....

I'm still pretty crappy at slide, but I still have a lot of fun playing slide....I can do maybe about 5 songs, and that's good enough for now.....

What I DO want is one of those Jetslides....Ricochet posted a link on a different thread, they look great for if you want to play in standard then do a slide solo.....trouble is, I live in what's commonly referred to as a one-horse town (well it used to be, but even the Blacksmith's packed up and gone.....) - I have to go to a big town to a guitar shop, and with my limited budget, after paying train fares, I've usually got enough for a couple of sets of string and a couple of plecs.....

Ah well - Santa's on his way, should be here soon.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can order directly from Jet Slide. You just need to give the maker your ring size, and which material you want. Mine (which I seldom use, being primarily a bottlenecker) is stainless. It's the thing to have if you mainly fret in standard and want to be able to pop out a slide solo now and then without interfering with your chording ability. Works best on electrics or lightly strung acoustics. Not enough mass for really heavy strings.
http://jetslide.com/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I just noticed that JetSlides have gotten considerably less expensive since I got mine. How many things can you say that about?

The MIG welding on my stainless one is beautifully done.

Sorry about the thread hijack, Indy. Carry on. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I really, really want one of those NOW....but it's too late to ask Santa......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Probably too late to start being a good boy, too...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Only by about 30 years or so....

Vic

ReplyQuote