Clear all

Tonation Problem

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a cheap strat copy that i would like to use for playing slide.The problem is i cant get the tonation right.Would the tonation problem have a major effect if i used it for playing slide with open tunings.
Any advice much appreciated.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

do a seach around here or in the beginner section. intonation with a trem bar was disscussed.
someone had problems and needed to block the trem.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Intonation isn't too critical with slide, since you intonate by ear. But you want it to be fairly close, because you do a good bit of fretting mixed in with the sliding in bottleneck style playing.

I despise tremolo bridges, though, because they get out of whack when you change tunings, which I do a lot of.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks
the intonation only goes pear shaped at about the tenth fret so should be ok for the odd riff lower down the neck.
Now, if only I could play the blues properly I'd be sorted.
Thanks Again.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Same here! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

thanks
the intonation only goes pear shaped at about the tenth fret so should be ok for the odd riff lower down the neck.
Thanks Again.

Are you SURE you have the bridge set up right, I don't understand how you could have a problem if you adjust the intonation properly. I have files on how to do that on a strat and you can find good instructions on the WEB. Maybe you should triple check your bridge adjustments.

Secondly I read somewhere about how some people lock the tremelo bridge so it cannot move. I forget how that was done.

I have a Squier Strat and I love it. I had no problem playing bottleneck on it with a glass slide, low action and light guage strings, even.

The Squier a fun guitar to play when one can't afford a top of the line Fender Strat.

Jeepers, I jusrt realized that I want to have a top of the line Fender Strat.

Meanwhile the Squier is alot of fun and plays like a Strat to me.

Get that thing adjusted right Bobblehat and then maybe figure out how to lock the tremelo in position if you think it is necessary.

As far as playing the blues *properly* there is one way to play the blues and that is to just play the blues any kind of way you want.

Phangeaux says, (my final determination after a recent revelation on all of this) There are no rules when it comes to playing the real blues, it's a feeling and an expression and however you want to express it has to come out blues.

I discovered that this is true when I decided to abandon all of the rules, chord progressions, tempos, rhythms, etc. All that shit was fabricated after the fact. Blues music once existed without rules. Blues comes from the heart, so let it flow

Then, you can always go back and play within the box of rules, whoever the fk decided that Blues has to be in a little box of rules. It sure wasn't someone who plays freely from the heart.

The box of rules is useful when you want to condense something down into a 2-1/2 minute recording, so it will conform with the set of rules for making a commercial record, but it is fun to abandon those once in awhile and just play free-flow. Try that in an open G tuning and just play along free flow with no preset protocol.

Who put us in this box? The Recording Industry Capitalists. WTF do they know about Music? (I rest my case)

Man I am sounding like a philosopher, an iconoclast, a revolutionary and a rebel. yeah!

I guess I have always been that way.

Ricochet, if you see this, what do you think of my view on it? Playing without rules is also relaxing.

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Who put us in this box? The Recording Industry Capitalists. Yep. The 12-bar blues format was standardized so that anybody could come into the studio and quickly record a side with the house musicians. Makes playing with a pickup band a lot simpler, too. Or sitting in with a group. Blues was played in other formats before that.

The 2 1/2 to 3 minute songs were invented for records, too. The old guys in a live situation like a house party or juke joint would hit a groove the audience was responding to and keep it going as long as they could, throwing in all sorts of verses pulled out of the grab bag.

ReplyQuote