Two tuning questions

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Question #1:
Did CSNY really tune slightly sharp for the studio recording of Woodstock, or is there something else going on? I just can't seem to get in synch with the recording. I don't have to play it that way, but now it's the principle.

Question #2:
Queens of the Stone Age uses mostly C F Bb Eb G C, and use it in No One Knows. Assuming I hate re-tuning (it's really no assumption, it's a fact), how would one go about playing it in standard tuning, if at all possible?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1. It's really common for recordings from the 60s and early 70s to be slightly sharp. Many producers would speed up the tape a bit on playback, thinking it improved the sound.

2. Ya gotta retune. Lots of low open C notes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Regarding Question #2 - if you're not going to be playing along with the album or playing with someone else in C F Bb Eb G C tuning (and assuming you're going from tablature) you can use standard tuning just to learn and play the song. C F Bb Eb G C tuning is just a "lowered standard," meaning that the intervals between the strings are still the same as in standard.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

1. It's really common for recordings from the 60s and early 70s to be slightly sharp. Many producers would speed up the tape a bit on playback, thinking it improved the sound.

2. Ya gotta retune. Lots of low open C notes.

1. I heard something like that. Wasn't sure I heard right. So I could tune the guitar slightly sharp to match?

2. Aw crap! :lol:

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Regarding Question #2 - if you're not going to be playing along with the album or playing with someone else in C F Bb Eb G C tuning (and assuming you're going from tablature) you can use standard tuning just to learn and play the song. C F Bb Eb G C tuning is just a "lowered standard," meaning that the intervals between the strings are still the same as in standard.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Yes, it did help.. I know it's two steps down, which is pretty low. That's a good idea to learn it in standard tuning then re-tune to play with the recording or with whoever/whatever else is tuned down.

Thanks. I knew you guys would know. :)

ReplyQuote