Whopper Strings on Lap Steel

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think that's a minor 13 tuning with the D, and would be a major 13 with a D#. The reason it's not an E7 is that it's got the sixth, the C#, in the chord.

Never had to think about this stuff with my old Delta open tunings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I think the D makes it an E7 and the C# makes it an E6.

Yeah, but when you have both it's an E13 (actually, to make it a 'proper' E13 chord there would need to be an F# present too, but it passes as an E13 tuning). I tried the version with the middle E raised to an F#, but that was too confusing for me, and less 'bluesy'. :wink:

Here's Campbell's tuning, it's an E6:

E
C#
B
G#
E
B
E
B

That low B is real low.... 8)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I think that's a minor 13 tuning with the D, and would be a major 13 with a D#. The reason it's not an E7 is that it's got the sixth, the C#, in the chord.

A 13th chord needs the dominant (minor) 7, the 6, and the 9. As a tuning it's more 'loose' - most players will call it a 13th tuning as long as it has the dom7 and the 6. "My" version of it was the first 13th tuning used by the Hawaiians, later on western swing players included an F# somewhere, and sometimes also a G# in the bass register (or moved it to the top string), often ending up with something like this:

E
C#
B
G#
F#
D
B
G#

Or this:

G#
F#
E
C#
B
G#
E
D

And this:

G#
E
B
G#
F#
D
B
G# (E)

And then the pedal steel was invented....... :lol:

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Gets complicated!

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

LTNS peoples. I use the Darick Campbell tuning exclusively on 8 string with the caveat that I tune the 2nd E to F# sometimes. Makes a great rock tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Gets complicated!

Yep.... :wink:

Since you're familiar with open-E from bottleneck slide I suggest sticking with a version of E6, then all you need to get used to is the added C# string(s). Campbell's version works fine and will give you a lot of bottom end for solid power chords, or you can use 'mine' with both the 2nd and 6th string tuned to C# (forget about the D, you can experiment with it later, it's just a half step away).

Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I just hope FedEx can find it and get it here soon!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2