Clear all

Back to the Stars *Now with MP3*

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A rather meaningless song but I can't seem to spend more then about ten minutes writing something...

I think of the night
I think of the stars
i think of the birds
in the sky
they all fly
away

how high
how high
how high

they said a big star
hit the big earth
made a big cloud
and now there's birds

fly to the stars
back to the stars
bring them a message from me

say, i sit alone at night
and think of the stars
and think of the birds
in the sky
they all fly
they all fly
they all fly

(@davidhodge)

Not sure how "meaningless" it is - I'm thinking there's room here for all sorts of meaning.

I like the structure and the tone and was wondering if, when you were writing this, if you already had an idea for the music in your head? I can almost hear Coldplay performing what I'm hearing...

Especially like this part:

they said a big star
hit the big earth
made a big cloud
and now there's birds

There's a lot of imagery packed into some simple language. My initial thought was that there might be a better word than "hit" but after several repetitions, I like it just as it is. Very cool.

Looking forward to more or at least hoping that you get ten minutes a week to write :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hey Pearl

I wish I could write a song in 10 minutes , so on that front well done .. :wink: :wink:

I would like to know more about whats in your head musically for this before I say too much ,

What I mean is how does the following sound compared to the rest when sung ? Is it in skyyyyyyyyyy , they will flyyyyyyyyyy , awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy .....Just to keep the same pattern going through out the song ..

in the sky
they all fly
away

I would be inclined to alter some wording myself such as the following

fly up to Mars
back from the stars
bring them a message from me

But with every song little tweeks are just some one else's opinion

I hope to read more Pearl

Cheers

Trev.. :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

David:
you're psychic! i did think of the melody while i was writing the words! but that was last night and my recording equipment wasn't connected right to work, so i hope i still have it in my head.

and Trevor: I like your edit. I may use it.

In the meantime I have to get my recording equipment working, so more on this later.

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I think this is beautiful. Can't wait to hear the music!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

The simplicity of this song makes it really powerful - especially the verse about the star hitting earth. I can't wait to hear it recorded - and yeah I can hear the Coldplay riff going on in the background, too. Or maybe a little Led Zep acoustic kinda thing? You could get a really hypnotic feel off the drone notes available in something like DADGAD (or in standard tuning).

:D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like everyone else, I like the minimalist simplicity of this....one of those songs where it's very easy to read between the lines.

I've got reservations about "big star hit the big earth" though - big rock might work better. Can't be many people who haven't seen "Armageddon!" - I was thinking along the lines of "big rock hit the big wide world" - or something along those lines.

Funny that David should mention Coldplay - I had a kind of melody and tempo in my head, whilst reading, along the lines of Coldplay's "Yellow".....

Sigh - there was a time I could write two or three songs in ten minutes - can't remember the last time I even had an idea for a new song! (Well actually I can - it was week one, year 6 and I STILL haven't gotten around to recording it....)

Make sure you leave a little hole somewhere in your schedule for writing - it's all too easy to get out of the habit!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

the problem that i have with writing is that after i get home from work i'm in the wrong sort of head for writing. i can only think about things that happened during the day, or should have happened during the day or whatever is at the top of my brain. i need to be in a more relaxed meditative frame of mind or the words will come from the wrong part of my brain. i can't get where i need to be except on the weekend and even then it's hard. even though i took only a few minutes to write this it took all day of relaxing, playing my guitar, listening to music, etc, to get my brain where it needed to be.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

A rather meaningless song

I dont think so. I think this is an excellent example of how simplicity can evoke huge imagery, well done, look forward to hearing it if you get a chance to record it.

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey pearl,

i can only echo what's been said. really really like this a lot. and unlike vic, i would keep the star hitting the earth, because it makes a more beautiful picture in my head :) but the last line of that bit "and then there's birds" seems to stand out a bit in terms of the felt pattern of the song. probably only have to hear it sung. i'm sure it'll fall into place then. i am curious. can't wait to hear it.

beautiful thing you got here.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for your responses everyone.
i have recorded this song and by way of introduction just let me say that: i can't play guitar very well, i can't sing very well, and can't playandsing very well, i can't write very well and i can't record very well. i'm not saying that to generate sympathy or anything but just to let you know not to expect too much...

here goes:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=701299

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

lol, that reminds me of a Gil Scott Heron intro to a song he did live.....he's like "This is really more of a poem, but we call it a son, but after you hear me sing it you'll agree that its more of a poem" :lol:

listening now

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

they said a big star
hit the big earth
made a big cloud
and now there's birds

I love this line. Some great minimalist lyrics. As for meaningless, sometime it's best for the audience (and critics) to attribute their own meanings to it. I see this as some dark pop/burlesque music (Christine Fellows/The Dresden Dolls) or chamber pop ish (Seawolf). Good stuff!

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

it's much more tranquil than i imagined. i think it is charming :)
would make a beautiful lullaby, too.

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

thanks for your responses everyone.
i have recorded this song and by way of introduction just let me say that: i can't play guitar very well, i can't sing very well, and can't playandsing very well, i can't write very well and i can't record very well. i'm not saying that to generate sympathy or anything but just to let you know not to expect too much...

here goes:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=701299
Don't be so tough on yourself Pearl , I thought it was lovely . You did a better job than I could do :lol:

Well done I like it ,

What are the chords your playing Pearl ?

Cheers

Trev.. :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2