Ok mates i need help writting songs for my band

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@redemeer01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So here is the probolem i need to write some bass lines for my band
And so i could use some help so i you could help me that would be good :D if not i will be sad :cry:

(@geoffrey)
Estimable Member

what kinda music? you can always just do root notes. (if you're guitarist plays a bar chord on the 3rd fret.. play the bass on the 3rd fret.) every 12th fret is a higher octive incase you wanna go higher or lower.. sometimes you can even just follow the dots.. i dunno what you're asking really. i assume you are a beginner? if so a fret is the space inbetween the metal lines on the neck where you put your finger. just please don't slap bass... too many people can't do it well, but do it regardless...

if you want kind of a little trial and error way of writing bass lines all by yourself.. you can play the telephone game! take a telephone number (1-800-555-3100) and then assume each number is a fret number.. actually.. i just played that telephone number i gave you and it doesn't sound too bad.. and it wasn't even 4/4 time so.. yeah.. that's what i did as a joke for this one band. that every song MUSICALLY was a joke. like playing F-A-G to a 3/4 count. sorry.. i'm childish.

you should be more specifc though if you want specific help.

to listen to my songs for SSC click here http://www.myspace.com/impossibleobjects

ReplyQuote
(@geoffrey)
Estimable Member

oh! and have some favorate bass players! listen to bass specifcally in your fav. music.

my all time favorate bass player is Andy Rourke from the Smiths. and the first thing he told Mike Joyce (the drummer) was..
"well.. you know bass and drums follow each other right?" - andy
"yeah" - mike.
and that's how the rythmn section to the greatest band ever happened!
and there you have it. team up with your drummer. become a good rythmn section.

Cure bass lines are often simple and yet melodicly amazing. (thank you Simon Galluope!) you could look at their tabs and without even being fimiliar with their music at least come up with something good.

make sure you're drummer tunes his toms.. choose a note for each tom and play what he plays. if he's got 3 toms.. you play 3 notes.. and you can do alot with 3 notes! 1/2 of a band is the song, the other 1/2 is if you can play it correctly and with each other.

to listen to my songs for SSC click here http://www.myspace.com/impossibleobjects

ReplyQuote
(@redemeer01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well yea im a beginner
and i know what you are saying about matching the drummer, but the drum set he has only has 2 toms so should i go in 2 or 4s or nether

but i dont really understand that phone game or what ever it is

Well i was fouling around with my keyboard the other day and i got a melody its C C in 24 time E flat (isnt a symbol for it so yea) C D The E flat is in 24 time also and the C D faster so i think it would be 44 or 68 not sure

Oh yea its metel and rock more or less

ReplyQuote
(@redemeer01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh yea im really a beginner but i try not to slap the bass cuz like i tried to do it before and it sounded really bad so yea i try not to do that
oh yea and my guitarists play notes usualy but can play bars

ReplyQuote
(@geoffrey)
Estimable Member

well.. whatever sounds good IS good. some bass players can play a mile a minute but i don't think it sounds good. so if he only has 2 toms that's no big deal. minimalism is ace in my eyes!!! but i don't really get into metal.. (or a separate note: if you can tolerate instrumental music.. "explosions in the sky" aren't metal, but share they same intensity.. godspeed you black emperor will make you go insane!!! but they aren't metal.) but yeah.. i'm not sure how much i could help you. i think if you're desire is to do something different then experimentation and practice is something you can't be taught.

try downloading some Lightening Bolt.. they are a due of just bass and drums.. but they do more with that than most. i'd say open your ears to all different bass sounds and incorporate it with what you like (metal, rock). i honestly wouldn't fool with pedals too soon. too many people use distortion to hide their mistakes rather than enhance their correct playing.

the telephone game was basically based on tabs. if you can read tabs, you can play the game.
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------
-------------------------1/8-00--553 1110
-1/8-00--5553--1110----------------------

it's dumb but you can really stumble upon cool stuff.

ReplyQuote