3 Users
0 Likes
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Book Topic pg 123 paragraph 2

Epictetus - Discourses
translation of Thomas Wentworth Higginson

"If you will enter the discussion, I will tell you that you must first understand words"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11558320

Refrain
understand words
Words understand words
First understand words
I must first understand words

Verse 1 (spoken)
How will I speak with what purpose
Meaning I seek in words use
Learn discipline of hummingbirds
Show me how to understand words
Refrain

Verse 2 (spoken)
How will I sing with what purpose
music to bring happiness
Learn discipline of mockingbirds
Show me how to understand words
Refrain

understand words
Words understand words
understand words

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hey Andy,

Well, it's different, but I like it because I don't know what to expect....reminds me a lot of Beck.....Do you listen to/like Beck?

Thanks for sharing :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@stephenbutler)
Eminent Member

It's very mantra-ish. The way it's spoken makes it sound like s mission statement. I know you've already recorded a form of this, but I didn't have much to grab onto in way if a melody or song. BUT, it's so driven, that may be all you need. I really hear this over a march, and maybe with a good rock baseline. Muse comes to mind. Probably at James' mention of Beck. Question, what's the significance of the birds? There may be something there you could develop into a chorus if you want this to become a song. Just a thought. Oh, one other thing comes to mind, Tom Waits' Step Right Up. My rave of his songs that I've heard.

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the listen and the comments, I appreciated this assignment since books are daunting to summarize in three minutes, but a paragraph adds focus. The book I just finished din't have a second paragraph on page 123, the one before had a chapter title so I grabbed this off the already read shelf." Understand words" grabbed me as a possible hook so that's where I started. The rest was experimenting, I didn't spend much time on it and I ran out of steam on this one quickly. Was stuck on a melody idea for a verse, so went with the spoken verse, out of time on purpose, but basically one take for the vocal.
Hey Andy,

Well, it's different, but I like it because I don't know what to expect....reminds me a lot of Beck.....Do you listen to/like Beck?

Thanks for sharing :D

James

A little, but may have to listen a bit more, since none of his songs that I have heard sound the same. Saw him on the Jools Holland show awhile back and was impressed.
The way it's spoken makes it sound like s mission statement

Epictetus was a Stoic philosopher in Rome about 1900 years ago. There are a lot of strong messages there for me.
Muse comes to mind. Probably at James' mention of Beck. Question, what's the significance of the birds? There may be something there you could develop into a chorus if you want this to become a song. Just a thought. Oh, one other thing comes to mind, Tom Waits' Step Right Up. My rave of his songs that I've heard.

Birds rhyme :lol: . I didn't give that too much more thought except, hummingbirds don't sing, mockingbirds sing by copying other birds and sounds (like human whistling). Haven't listened to Muse, I do appreciate the Tom Waits reference, need to listen more to his stuff, since I am weak at vocals.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote