Clear all

Why Can't I Write Anything?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 TomD
(@tomd)
Topic starter  

For about the past month my brain has just been totally dead when it comes to writing songs. It's not like I don't have ideas of songs to write, I just can't put them on paper. It's wierd. 'Cause I really want to be good at this, and I'm 14, and time is running out for me to start writing good songs if I want to become a singer/songwriter. So can anybody help please? I've read all the articles and things, I just don't know what I can do!

(@apefeet)
Eminent Member

First off time is not running out on you. At 14 you have whole life ahead of you. So what is the rush?

For specific help, I would recommend participating the the Sunday songwriters group. it is very helpfull to force yourself to write one song per week. Basicly just write something, does not have to be good or perfect. The more you write the better it becomes.  This has been recommended before, but get a small notebook you can always carry with you (keep pencil with it). Whenever a line or thought comes to mind just jot it down. Don't edit them or correct them, if it does not sound good write another line. Every so often go through them and see if you can turn them into a song.

Today I had some time to kill and figured I would try and write a song. I could not think of anything, but had tons of ideas in my head. I got very frustrated, so I just started writing lines down. Lines about how I could not express what I wanted to say. After 2 pages I now have enough lines to put together in a song (I'll post it in a couple of days, after I organize it).  The song is about someone trying to find words to tell someone they are sorry.

Basic advice, relax, go see movie, spend time with friends, listen to music, in other words life. Songs will come to you.

Just don't rush it.

Rich

ReplyQuote
(@mjbird)
Estimable Member

I have to disagree with Apefoot on one point:

Your right. Time is running out on you!
I am 46 and have felt that way since I was 14 too.
That feeling is the fuel you need to write or do anything
artistic.  Don't try to be a songwriter.  Work you ass
off at some thankless job for a cruel taskmaster and
watch your lyrics form themselves.  

As for writers block, this assignment by Nick is an
excellent method to confront it.  

Also...try taking a short list of random unrelated words,
and go for a walk with them.  If you try not to look you
might step in something creative.
:D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, adding on to what MJBird said:
try taking a short list of random unrelated words,
and go for a walk with them.  If you try not to look you
might step in something creative.

I find that whenever I go on a long bike ride, my mind starts wandering and I get great song inspiration. Also, it works on long walks or runs.

Always keep a notepad (or just a sheet of scratch paper) with you - then, if you get a super idea, just write it down.

There's hardly anything worse than getting a brilliant idea and then forgetting it (because you didn't write it down).

- Silly putty

ReplyQuote
 Gina
(@gina)
Estimable Member

I would say..don't TRY and write songs. Whenever I sit down and say, "I'm going to write a song," nothing comes to me, either! Do what was already suggested...keep a little notebook with you. As you go through your day, if you hear a phrase or maybe see something interesting, jot it down. You'll find that once you have enough things written, ideas for lyrics will come naturally.

I once had an English professor in University who always made us start each class by writing for 5 minutes. On ANYTHING. His motto was, "Write anything rather than nothing." This would get our minds working. So I'd literally sit there and write things like, "I hate this class and what IS that ties he's wearing...." even though we always handed the writing in! He didn't grade us on it, he just wanted to get our minds going. Anyway, if I feel I want to write, I just sit and write ANYTHING. "It's raining today and God this desk's a mess and why am I feeling so blue?" Whatever. It just gets your mind in a writing mode.

The Sunday Songwriter's Group is a great help to me. It gets me to WRITE. Nothing great, but at least I'm writing. It's a good discipline and gets me writing every week. Try it. Even if you only have a line or 2, do it anyway! It's a big help.

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

ReplyQuote
(@erin_deann)

(Note: This is really long, but this process is currently working for me.)
I too am struggling with Writer's Block (I'll refer to it as WB from now on) and have been for a while. (I lost count after about 2 years) The help I have to offer is what I've only recently figured out.  (Bare in mind that the details involved will vary with each specific problem, this is just an example)
~Note~ The important points will begin on a new line, starting with ~*  Just in case my examples ramble on or bore you.

~*1st- I figured out that each block is caused by one (sometimes more) specific problem.(s)  

In my specific case, when I started seriously  writing when I was 15, my poetry was inspired and fueled by all the day-to-day dramas and all my new findings that come with growing up or coming-to-age. Mainly I wrote about getting my heart broken, the person who broke my heart, indescressions in all aspects of life, basically everything that brought on yet another "worst day of my life" stuff. Cliche'd as it may be, most of the stuff I wrote back then I am still proud to be the author of.
Then came my 'falling-out' with writing. I began a wonderful long-term relationship (which I'm still in). I finally met someone who has yet to break my heart (knock on wood), who loves me just as much as I love him, and who I get along with famously. In fact, we get along so well, that after 3 years, I can STILL count the number of serious fights we've had on one hand. This affected my writing by removing all the drama and problems that had previously inspired me.

~*So there's the problem: Inspiration. At first, I thought I had completely lost inspiration. But I wouldn't accept that; that means that it's likely I'll never be able to write again. HELL NO. Not acceptable. So I dug deeper into the problem. After God knows how long, I figured out that I just need to find other means of inspiration.

~*So after figuring out the problem, no matter how long it takes, find your solution. Unfortunately every solution is going to vary with the problem, so all I can offer for help is my example.
After figuring out that all I need is to find a new source of inspiration, I started a list. The list consists of everything that I can think of that gives me pretty much any extreme feeling- mainly hope. For instance, my Grandmother is my favorite person in the world. She does tons of volunteer work for the community, when a politician does or says something she feels is unjust, she starts writing letters- 1 letter every day either until she's heard, or for a month. If no response after a month, she starts making calls and doesn't stop until something is done. This is the woman who taught me unconditional love, and that just because you don't like someone, that doesn't mean you can't be nice to them. Doing so could eventually change your feelings about the person, and you could gain a valuable friendship. Basically, this woman spends every waking moment doing more than her fair share of making a difference for the better, and every sleeping moment dreaming of what else she can do. Talk about inspiration.
Another example from my list is my friend Dan. He got into a terrible wreck the Saturday morning before Christmas. He was life-flighted to a hospital in Wichita, KS. Poor guy, broke/fractured his collarbone, his right arm, left shoulder, right hip, and left ankle AND shin. When he first got there, they said there was NO chance that he'd EVER walk again. They also said he'd likely be in the hospital for between 1-3 months. Not only is he already out of this hospital- not even 2 weeks later- but he's already sitting up, and is able to do everything I would be able to do if I were in a wheelchair, if not more. In other words, he's well on his way to doing everything the 20-some doctors that saw him said he'd never have a chance to do again. A WEEK AND A HALF LATER! And I've never met someone who has dealt  with this type of situation SO well. When I visited him in the hospital, I never heard ONE single complaint. Really gives you hope, huh?

~*Basically, my 3rd step is making a list of everything I can find that inspires extreme feeling, that REALLY makes me feel emotion, whether it be love, hate, happiness, anger, hope, sadness, pride, humility- name it.
~*After I finish my list, I'll start noting random thoughts on whichever subject strikes me at that moment.  
Although I haven't started this portion yet, I feel like this is the closest I've come to overcoming W.B. and it seems like it will work.

That's all I can offer as far as what I'm doing is concerned, but here's a few other suggestions-
Get a Dictionary/Thesaurus. When you get time, open either to any random page, and memorize a few new words. EXPAND THAT VOCABULARY! Really, reading just about anything and everything helps with this. When you find a word you don't understand, look it up.
And I know it sounds kind of cheap, but rhyming dictionaries are also pretty cool. But remember, it doesn't have to rhyme to be a poem or song.
And everything everyone else suggested is also really helpful. The main thing is KEEP AT IT. If you're really passionate about this, don't wait 2+ years like I have. Get on the ball and don't stop working it until you get it solved.

Let me know if you work it out- that would be a wonderful addition to my inspiration list! Feel free to email me anytime- [email protected]

Good luck!
Erin

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Erin,

You have about half a dozen song topics, hooks, catch phrases, cool lines in  what you just wrote.

Writing isn't about writing, it's about seeing.  Take a look at what you have written.

How about the combination of "steps" you listed and the accident?

Step by step

and

I'll never walk again

It doesn't have to be about actually walking, it could be about your wonderful relationship.

Step by step
we came together
and if you leave me
I'll never walk again

So you don't really have a block, you just need to see what you are writing already.

Good luck,

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@erin_deann)

Nick- Thank you for your reply. It's statements like those that I know in the back of my head that need to be noticed.
Honestly, ideas have started bouncing around, and I've been bouncing with them- I just got done reading a ton of quotes. I copied quite a number of them down- those I enjoy, and those I don't like, but know are true and good advice. I'm sure they'll come in handy one of these days.
As for now, I'm going to go home and start another step... sleep and dream.
Which spawns yet another suggestion- when you dream, write down what you remember ASAP. Talk about some interesting topics. Plus, dreams are what your subconsious wants you to know, so writing on your dreams is a very good way to learn more about yourself. You'd be amazed at what you don't know about yourself.
BTW- Happy New Year!
Erin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Tom.

I would just like to say how much I feel the same way!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one thinking that it's about time I wrote something decent. I'm 15 and I am getting so frustrated with this feeling of hopelessness at my skills as a songwriter (just thought- good idea for a song!)

However, one thing I've found really helpful is writing stupid things. I wanna do the heavy stuff, but I've decided that that'll come later. In the meantime, I take songs I already know and change the words. It's suprising how helpful this is. The idea is to make it as stupid as possible, which is very easy for a 15 year old girl. So far I've got one about restaurants and old ladies and another about a deep sea diver who goes to brothels when he's on leave from the Navy. As bizarre as it sounds it gets the tension out and normally ends up in a big laugh, and I get cool ideas for imagery and metaphors for the heavier stuff.

I've kinda gone on for a bit now, but thanks for the reassurance that I'm not the only one with this 'WB'. Also, I've got tons of ideas from the other people who replied. So, thanks and keep me posted with the progress!

Esther x

ReplyQuote