Clear all

Y10W18 rhymes, thesaurus, power word diving

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

insane - crazy, nuts, loopy, mad, unsound mind, demented, shatter-brained, possessed, lost it, doctor, hospital, asylum,drain, brain, crane, refrain, maintain, explain, lane, sprain, train, rain, vain, unchain, complain, explain, humane, windowpane

Carrie/tree - marry, misery, solemnly, physically, free, see, incompatibiity, insanity, dream(s), leave(s), crazy, need(s), sleep, seek, she, Julie, street, meet, facility, greet, lean, whiskey, he, she, treat, timber, sapling, oak, woodlan, forest

time - rhyme, chime, crime, climb, prime, enzyme, paradigm, duration, tenure, term, period, while away

pray - away, gray, break, mate, change, face, gray, petition, plea, entreat, implore, request, begging, blue jay, okay, weigh, say, display, roadway, pathway

presentation - frustation, incantation, expression, institution, condition, expectation, addiction, affliction, demonstration, exhibition, expression, vacation,vibration,, resignation, condemnation, report, speech

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I love the idea of power word diving. Does your rhyming dictionary do non-perfect rhymes too? Just wondering.

I think you have a great selection here.

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nick,
Thanks, got them from the Penguin rhyming dictionary and rhymezone. I may throw in some alliteration, assonance and consonance rhymes as well. :)

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

More rhymdiving:

asylum - sternum, random, tandem, macadam, sanctuary,

timber - limber, marimba, September, December, November, lumber, slumber, number, falling, insects, stump, birds

duration - eurasian, maturation, configuration, transfiguration, inauguration, clock, meeting

plea > Carrie/tree - marry, misery, solemnly, physically, free, see, incompatibiity, insanity, dream(s), leave(s), crazy, need(s), sleep, seek, she, Julie, street, meet, facility, greet, lean, whiskey, he, she, treat,

report - deport, heliport, bought, ought, got, hot, clot,knot, shot,forgot, earshot, snapshot, flowerpot, statement, paper

Sense writing

In the window is a plastic rose with a stale paint smell sitting in a red clay flowerpot. The plastic flower is the size of a child's fist, the petals rigid, hard and cold in the air-conditioned room. The sheets feel rough and grainy, like sackcloth from a bag of potatoes. The floor is poorly constructed hard tile that creaks when George shifts his weight in the metal folding chair or Thelma enters the room with her 150 pounds of weight brought to a point with each step in the black heels of her shoes. Thelma enters and exits many times as a way to express her impatience and the nagging need for nicotine.

Carries heart pounds resonating in her sternum, even though she lay motionless and breathes faintly, The lumpy mattress of her hospital bed probably made of the same sackcloth. The ceiling's white plaster swirls onto itself around the pale 60 watt light on with a clear globe.

Whiskey helps George not to feel so small. George can't explain why or how he feels. He only wants to escape the feeling of the weight of the family on his shoulders. The metronome tick of the clock on the wall is relentless. The clank echoes off the hard walls, floor and ceiling and Carries heart beats in time with the clock.

The Royal Order club reeks of the smell of cigars, cigarettes and alcohol in the carpeting chair material and ceiling. Full of old men who need an excuse to leave the house and escape the same recycled conversations. Men who need a place to feel important, large or just be left alone with their vices. The shag carpeting on the floor is stained in so many places it makes a pattern of swirls much like the plaster ceiling in Carrie's room.

Jim is wearing a white dress shirt, thin black necktie, black leather belt, leather shoes and polyester pants. His hair is neatly combed. He too is a chain smoker. There is a deep sadness in his eyes that is not inviting. George sits next to Jim at the bar.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Looks like the object/sense bound writing is helping, Andy :D

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

James,
There may be more than one in there :)
Andy

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean :cry:

I am still struggling with sense bound writing....I keep getting inside the characters head instead of the sensor details, but today I stumbled on something that might help.....I simply start off each line by writing "You see.....You hear......You touch....You smell....etc. It doesn't look like you need stepping stones like this, but I sure do... :?

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean :cry:

I am still struggling with sense bound writing....I keep getting inside the characters head instead of the sensor details, but today I stumbled on something that might help.....I simply start off each line by writing "You see.....You hear......You touch....You smell....etc. It doesn't look like you need stepping stones like this, but I sure do... :?

James, looks like you are getting it. :D I used your approach and it really helped in my first few days object writing, then I started thinking of more sides. What I mean is that I see the potential for more than one song. About the feelings or the perceptions of different characters (internal/external focus), different settings, different points in time, etc., from different perspectives or points of view, looking back (memory distortion), looking forward, facts, dreams, what they each choose to see, and then there are the altered or unreliable speaker possibilities. I am using this assignment to get out of my skin and take a fictional character point of view and I may do several for compare contrast. What is partly inspiring me is an example I am thinking of. Rodney Crowell on his album "The Houston Kid" had observed as a 10 year old, twin boy babies that received little affection. He had no further contact and learned forty years later that one of the twins had a deadly virus. Crowell extrapolated and wrote two completely different songs. One "I Wish It Would Rain" was internally focused from the point of view of the the young man, the second "Wandering Boy", was a direct address to the young man from the point of view of his twin brother. :note2:

Andy

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

James, looks like you are getting it. :D I used your approach and it really helped in my first few days object writing, then I started thinking of more sides.
OK. Thanks for the clarification......it still feels off for me, but at least I am learning....I am hoping the consistency will lead to a break through :wink:
Crowell extrapolated and wrote two completely different songs.
Yeah, I thought about that idea before when I heard Norah Jones' songs "Come Away With Me" and "Don't Know Why"....could be 2 points of view on the same situation.

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I thought about that idea before when I heard Norah Jones' songs "Come Away With Me" and "Don't Know Why"....could be 2 points of view on the same situation.

I don't listen to it much but happen to have the CD. Two different writers, Jesse Harris wrote "Don't Know Why" and Norah wrote the hit, but one of the two could have been a response song.

ReplyQuote