Y7 Week 4 - Run Away - Dylan Barrett +mp3

16 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys and Gals

Sorry missed out on last weeks assignment - pretty darn busy and very stressed, but here's week 4:

The names have been left out and the ages removed to protect the innocent... :wink:

Haven't got a title for it yet - I'm working on it, but any suggestions welcome. (Just added Run Away as title)

Now, forgive me with the chords because I'm still trying to get my head around how to write chords when there's a capo involved, so I've made them up :lol: The capo is on 2 (at the moment) and the F5 is a normal F but moved up to the 3/4/5 fret, the F7 is moved up to the 5/6/7 fret - what the heck are those please? How do I work it out so I don't look like a dumb ass in the future (which is going to be difficult).

Interesting assignment - there must have been tons of these in my life, but just can't think of any that I could write an interesting song about - but this one does come back to me from time to time - don't know why - but I remember it like yesterday... Ahhhh, good times bad times....

Found out what the chords were using a nifty little web programme....

Run Away

(Am) (A9sus4) (Am) (A9sus4)
(Am)I never will for(A9sus4)get thatday
(Am)when I saw you lying (A9sus4)there
(Am)you smiled and looked me (A9sus4)in the eye
(Am)I was young, too young (A9sus4) too shy
(Am)(A9sus4)
(Am)My legs were shaking (A9sus4)I could hardly stand
(Am)My trembling body would be(A9sus4)tray
((Am)And when you kissed me slowly (A9sus4)in the dark
(Am)My innocence... (A9sus4) just blew awa(G)y (D)(C)

(G)Those summer days seem (D) to be so far (C)away
(G)Riding bikes and climbin' (D) making up the (C)day
(G)It was my first time, (D) didn't know what to (C)say
(G)Now I look back wish'd I'd (D) never run aw(Fm7)ay

(Am) (A9sus4)(Am) (A9sus4)

(Am)She would have taught me (A9sus4)many things
(Am)my head was lost inside a (A9sus4)haze
(Am)Just a boy you were (A9sus4)a girl of seventeen
(Am)But a woman in many (A9sus4)ways
(Am) (A9sus4)
(Am)dark brown eyes they (A9sus4)questioned me
(Am)in the shadows of the (A9sus4)day
(Am)I was so self-conscious felt (A9sus4)immature
(Am)I turn around and (A9sus4) ran, ran awa(G)y (D)(C)

(G)Those summer days seem (D)to be so far (C)away
(G)Flyin' kites and hidin' (D)making up the (C)day
(G)It was my first time, (D)didn't know what to (C)say
(G)Now I look back wish'd I'd (D)never run aw(Fm7)ay

(Am)(A9sus4)(Am)(A9sus4)

(Am)The weeks they passed, I (A9sus4)thought of nothing else
(Am)Childhood games had disap(A9sus4)peared
(Am)I returned but she was (A9sus4) nowhere to be found
(Am)Waited to see those eyes aga(A9sus4)in....
until the sun went down (Am) (A9sus4) (Am) (A9sus4)

I'll post a groaning .mp3 tomorrow.
Hmmm, just noticed there's a lot of 'aways' in there... I may have to rewrite soon.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Now, forgive me with the chords because I'm still trying to get my head around how to write chords when there's a capo involved, so I've made them up The capo is on 2 (at the moment) and the F5 is a normal F but moved up to the 3/4/5 fret, the F7 is moved up to the 5/6/7 fret - what the heck are those please?

Simple rule of thumb....putting a capo on fret X raises the pitch of the chord you're playing by X semitones...so putting that capo on the second fret and playing an F chord, you'll actually be playing a G chord, and playing an F7 with capo will make that a G7. Or did you mean that you're playing an F7 chord with the barre at the fifth fret? That'd make it an A7...

So going through your chords, F5 (actually an F - it's an F5 if you're only playing the root and fifth, ie 13xxxx or 133xxx) will become G, F7 will become G7 (if at the third fret - at the fifth fret it'll be A7), and G C and D will become A D and E respectively.

Another way to look at it - play an E chord with your middle & ring fingers and your pinky. Now move those three fingers all up one fret, and barre the first fret with your index finger - that's an F chord, as you've moved the entire E chord up one semitone, and you're using your index finger as a capo. Move the F chord up two more frets, it's a G chord - two more, it's an A chord. A further two frets, it's a B chord - one more (your barre [index] finger should be at the 8th fret by now) and it's a C chord. A further two frets to the 10th, it's a D chord - and finally a further two frets up to the 12th, it's an E chord again, albeit every note in it will be an octave higher than the original open E chord. Geddit?

OK, moving swiftly on to "Untitled" - or is that the title? Just kidding.....looks a good first draft to me, although there's one line that jumps out and shouts "change me!"...."and led me down to lay" - not sure what you'd replace it with, maybe you'd have to change the previous line as well, to rhyme.

Look forward to the mp3....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic

Thanks for looking and your explanation of the chords - No, I'm hopelessly lost with the mathematics of chords.... :oops
Ok, the chords I'm looking for are Fmaj7 moved up to the third and fifth fret (don't worry about the capo)????

Yeh, know what you mean about 'that' line - it sucks! That's done and changed.... Thanks.

Not sure whether I need the raise it to the capo on 2...sound ok without it today :roll:

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Now, forgive me with the chords because I'm still trying to get my head around how to write chords when there's a capo involved, so I've made them up :lol: The capo is on 2 (at the moment) and the F5 is a normal F but moved up to the 3/4/5 fret, the F7 is moved up to the 5/6/7 fret - what the heck are those please? How do I work it out so I don't look like a dumb donkey in the future (which is going to be difficult).

Dylan, what I've seen from Easy Song database is exactly what you are doing. You mention up front where the capo is and then list the chords. The chords are played relative to the capo (as if the capo was the nut). So if capo is on 2 and you say you are playing an F chord the player knows (and in fact has) to use frets 3/4/5 (1 and 2 are blocked).

Placing a capo on fret 2 raises all the notes a whole step.
What I'm wondering is if the effect of your capo placement is to make an
F into a G
G becomes A
C becomes D
D becomes E
why not play it with GADE without a capo (instead of FGCD with a capo)?

I could be all wrong about this . . . If so, someone please tell me.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Ken

I understand what you're saying. Ok. I'm not sure whether I need the capo or not - doesn't really affect the way I sing it. The capo gives it a slightly funky feel, without capo slightly softer mellow - which is probably correct for this song.

The chords with the song are without the capo, but I think we are saying that with the capo the chords can be written as normal chord positions but the actual note of the chord when written changes - am I right, or am I right?

I need to do some homework... :cry:

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dylan, can you actually tab out the chords you're using? I have a sneaky suspicion that the A9sus4 is actually a G6 chord, or possibly a Gadd9.....because I don't think you can actually have a 9sus4 chord. For a 9th, you'd need the root, third, fifth, flat seventh and ninth of the scale - but for a sus4, you'd need to drop the third - so it can't be a ninth! Confused? I am!

I looked up A9sus4 here and it gave me this chord shape...5x543x. Those strings would give you the notes A, G B and D...so in the key of A, root, b7, 4th and 9th.....no third, no 5th. Taking G as the root, you've got the major triad - G B and D - with A as an added 9th, so Gadd9.

If what you're doing is moving an Fmaj7 chord up two frets but leaving the top string open, then it's a G6 chord...the open E note, which is the 7th in F, is the 6th in G.....

If you can tab the chords out I'll be able to tell better....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

Heck with the chords - my brain hurts!!! Ok Am G6

Not only that, the song was too long so I've chopped it down to just over 4 mins from an epic 5min +

(Am) (G6) (Am) ( G6)
(Am)I never will for( G6)get thatday
(Am)when I saw you lying (G6)there
(Am)you smiled and looked me (G6)in the eye
(Am)I was young, too young (G6) too shy

(Am)My legs were shaking I could (G6)hardly stand
(Am)My trembling body would be(G6)tray
((Am)And when you kissed me slowly (G6)in the dark
(Am)My innocence... (G6) just blew awa(G)y (D)(C)

(Am) (G6)(Am) (G6)

(Am)dark brown eyes they (G6)questioned me
(Am)in the shadows of the (G6)day
(Am)Just a boy you were (G6)a girl of seventeen
(Am)I turn around and ran(G6) ran awa(G)y (D)(C)

(Am)(G6)(Am)(G6)

(Am)The weeks they passed, I (G6)thought of nothing else
(Am)Childhood games had disap(G6)peared
(Am)I returned but she was (G6) nowhere to be found
(Am)Waited to see those eyes aga(G6)in....
until the sun went down (Am) (G6) (Am) (G6)

Tell me, did any of you other folks have a problem when you started recording and just couldn't get it to work right as soon as you pressed the button - I'm pulling my hair out - concentrate on the playing and singing is crap, concentrate on the singing and the playing is crap (well... :roll: ) - I'm concentrating on both here and this is the result, but you'll get the general idea of the song.....Only need to throw in a couple of barre chords and I'll have a full house :oops: I imagine it's sorta like digital stage fright! :D

http://www.box.net/shared/cio9xeepgo

I actually like the sound of this, but the verse to chorus transition is messy - not sure what to do - offers please? Maybe it's my playing inexperience that's the problem - I will accept that.

This is without the capo....

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No wonder you were excited about it.
Very nicely done, DB.
Interesting chords . . . different. . . . unique . . . I enjoyed it.

Some changes in words I would suggest (feel free to ignore)
first, your use of 'tray' I'm not familiar with . . . but that's OK, I'll look it up

My suggestions are instead of "My innocence just blew away" . . . "melted away"
"dark brown eyes they questioned me" . . . "fascinated me"
and later on when you mention her eyes again . . .
"Waited to see those eyes again" . . . "those dark brown eyes again"

Again, I liked it.
So you can keep that silly grin on your face.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Tell me, did any of you other folks have a problem when you started recording and just couldn't get it to work right

Abso-blinkin'-lutely! I got round it (using Audacity, but I should imagine it'd work just as well with any multi-tracking recording system) like this.....

1 - Record rough backing track, singing and playing guitar. Call this track #1....

2 - Play back track #1 thru headphones, record track #2 - this time concentrate solely on the guitar.

3 - Play back tracks #1 & #2 thru headphones, record track #3 - this time, concentrate on the vocal.

4 - Delete track #1, leaving track #2 - guitar - and track #3 - vocals, both of which you've been able to give your full attention to.

5 - Mix as necessary, export to mp3, and let us have a listen!

(This is what I SHOULD have done with this week's MP3, but I was pushed for time so just did the one quick take, guitar and vocals...when I get a chance, I'll re-do it.)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Ken

Thanks for the comments - yeh, I think it's got something I can work on... most of my chords are unique :D

I wasn't sure whether you were pulling my leg about the use of words... :? , of course the word 'tray' is the end part of 'betray', as in 'my trembling body would betray' - I put a chord change in between the word.

The last line of the verse 'My innocence just blew away' sorta works up into a crescendo of chord changes so I thought it needed a strong words - 'melted' sounds a bit soft but you made me think about that so I'm going to look again.

Yes, dark brown eyes at the end sounds good - I'll do that. If I use it twice, I'll probably change the title to Brown Eyes.

Silly grin - I really don't know what you mean... :wink:

Hi Vic - I have audacity so I'll have play about with it.

Ok, better get on with some work now....It's addictive this songwriting lark - I could do it every hour of every day but it will never get me bread on the table...

Oh yes, a friend of mine came to pick some stuff up from me yesterday and I was playing and singing Man on the Moon - he has invited me to play and sing with some of his mates for fun....Yeh, rock and roll....!!!! :D

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Dylan I've got say that your song writing has grown leaps and bounds over the first one you posted. This is a great tune! Keep up the good work!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe

Ok, here's another slightly amended version. Kens' comments made me think a bit so I've changed a couple of words - first thing is the title: Those Dark Brown Eyes - loverly, thanks Ken. Also Ken made me look at "My innocence' line - still needs punch so I've changed it to "blown away".... later I've added 'those dark brown eyes' , great, needed that for the title, but here's where I have a problem.

I like KR2s idea of repeating Those Dark Brown Eyes... at the end, instead of 'as the sun went down' but I want folks to feel the fact that this poor little lad is sat there waiting for hours for her to turn up (she never did) and whilst probably on hindsight would have been nice to think he was thinking of her eyes at that point is maudlin, I think he was thinking of the long cycle ride home at night without any lights :roll: :wink:

What do you all think? - DBWA or ATSWD? or... 'as my cycle light dimmed'.... :D

Those Dark Brown Eyes

(Am) (G6) (Am) (G6)
(Am)I never will for( G6)get that day
(Am)when I saw you lying (G6)there
(Am)you smiled and looked me (G6)in the eye
(Am)I was young, too young (G6) too shy

(Am)My legs were shaking I could (G6)hardly stand
(Am)My trembling body would be(G6)tray
((Am)And when you kissed me slowly (G6)in the dark
(Am)My innocence... (G6) was blown awa(G)y (D)(C)

(Am) (G6)(Am) (G6)

(Am)those dark brown eyes they (G6)questioned me
(Am)in the shadows of the (G6)day
(Am)Just a boy you were (G6)a girl of seventeen
(Am)I turn around and ran(G6) ran awa(G)y (D)(C)

(Am)(G6)(Am)(G6)

(Am)The weeks they passed, I (G6)thought of nothing else
(Am)Childhood games had disap(G6)peared
(Am)I returned but she was (G6) nowhere to be found
(Am)Waited to see those eyes aga(G6)in....
as the sun went down (Am) (G6) (Am) (G6)

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I think you can have both . . .
Your song trails off with those same chords repeated over anyway.
Might as well trail it off with the words too.
So,
As the sun went down . .
those dark brown eyes . .
As the sun went down . .
those dark brown eyes . .

It gives the impression that you're waiting . . .
and thinking about her as you wait.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeh, I suppose I could do that.....

As the sun went down.. those dark brown eyes
As the sun went down...I'm getting hungry
As the sun went down...wonder what's for tea
As the sun.... I'm off!

Seriously, yes, I'll have a muse....

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Dylan,

I like your chord variations between the different sections. The message is clear and sticking with one emotion.

I would like to hear a bit more about the singer to singee relationship...I am trying to piece together the setting, but it's not all working out for me...Summertime (check)...dusk (check) but what would the relationship and setting be that he would run away and look for her later and she wouldn't be found?.. and was the singer doing all the summer time activities with the girl (biking, climbing, kite flying and hiding) or was he doing those things separately and just met a stranger during a summer vacation?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2