Skip to content
Y9 W33 - The Sentin...

Notifications
Clear all

Y9 W33 - The Sentinels Of Democracy - with MP3.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

EDIT - Thurs 30th June, 2.30 am.....finally managed to get an Mp3 done. First recording for a long time - new(ish) laptop, had to reinstall audacity, don't think I've managed to sort all the settings out yet. Ah, what the heck....it's only a rough demo...go to the bottom of the page for the Soundclick link. If you've nothing better to do. Apologies for the sound quality, but like I said - ROUGH demo. Really do need to get to grips with the Zoom MRS-8.....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sentinels of Democracy was the random feature I picked for the band name....after that it all got a bit serious. I'm not sure where the "Watching Over You" title came from -and I really haven't got a clue how to turn the pictures of Keir Hardie, Ramsay MacDonald, Clement Attlee, Harold Wilson and James Callaghan into a single cover.....but I did find a nice quote, "We are all watching over you - and we always will!" from an ancestors website.....

So, apologies for being unashamedly left-wing, but Nick (hey, he wrote the assignment) pushed me into into it - apologies for breaking the "no politics" rule, but hell, I absolutely could not have written this song without dragging politics into the equation. It's just the way I feel, OK? About the IDIOTS who didn't even get a majority vote but are "running" the country now....and making a bloody bad job of it.

Sentinels Of Democracy - Watching Over You.

We are the sentinels of democracy, and we are watching over you,
Keir Hardie, Ramsay McDonald, Hugh Gaitskell too.
We are the sentinels of democracy, and we are watching over over you,
Harold Wilson, James Callaghan, and Clement Attlee too.

we are watching, we are waiting, for the privileged ones to fail,
Most of them are up on charges, awaiting bail,
Running the country into the ground, intercepting our mail,
If I only had my way, today, they'd all be in jail.....

The idiot cameron and his playmate clegg, just haven't got a clue,
We are the sentinels of democracy, and we stand for right and truth,
And that's two things this government will never give to you....

They have the money, power and influence, to open any door,
And the confdence and the arrogance, to walk all over the poor,
And the greed to want everything, and then take even more,
And the working and the lower classes, as always are ignored...

We are the sentinels of democracy, and we've had enough,
It's time the true-blue thatcherites were well and truly stuffed,
And the cameronites and the rest of you who've never had it it rough,
Should visit a Northern mining town, and learn the definition of tough....

We'll always be there, we'll always be fair, and we'll be true,
To what we believe in, and what we feel, and to the truth,
And to all you true-blue tory b*****ds, well, f**k you.....

I can put up with a lot of things - but after maggie thatcher and john major (major? hell, he shouldn't have even made corporal, he was a total idiot!) another tory government is a bit too much to take. especially when no-one actually voted for them.....ah, never mind the politics. Injustice is one thing that really gets me angry.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Tell us how you really feel Vic!
It all comes down to the have and the have-nots doesn't it? too bad the "haves" want it all". It's the same everywhere.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+ 1 to Peter's comments about the power and the passion, and being one for the Billy Bragg fans. :)

I've rather lost touch with UK politics, but I do occasionally wonder if the awful Mrs. T has croaked yet...

Hope we get to hear you sing this.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

too bad the "haves" want it all". It's the same everywhere.

Is that always true? I thought that there was a strong tradition of philanthropy in the USA? I'm thinking of people like Andrew Carnegie and his free libraries. BIll Gates and his foundation, and numerous others who've set up similar organisations. Many rich certainly seem fond of piling up more than their share, but at least some of them seem to think that wealth carries some kind of social responsibility. Is that not true any more?

Our charity organisations here often point to the US model of corporate support and fundraising events by the wealthy, when suggesting that Australia lags behind in that regard. We do have some outstanding wealthy benefactors here who are very generous and supportive with their money (often under conditions of anonymity too). But we still seem to mostly rely on applying for government subsidies, and shaking tins outside supermarkets. But has that eroded away in The States now?

The ones that irritate me are the rich rockers who pose big but don't do much with their own wealth but buy more houses etc. Some have got the message and even even set up their own charities. Others not so much.

We all like a bit of luxury now and then though. If I remember the biblical story rightly, even JC had his feet (or body?) annointed with some rare and expensive perfumed oil by a female admirer. When asked by a disciple whether it shouldn't really have been sold and the money given to the poor, he replied that the poor would always be with them, but they wouldn't always have him! :D

Cheers

Chris

I definitely don't want it all ---- where would I put it?? :P

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

You seem to have a handle on your political POV :wink:

As far as a listener, I have no idea about the situations or people you are singing about; and politics doesn't pique my interest enough to read up on all the names......but the sentiment of angst comes across fine.

The only suggestion would be now that you have gotten the gist of the message down, consider crafting the end rhymes a bit more. V2,4 and 5 look good though.

All verses AAA pattern. That's always a challenge to have a strong enough melody to keep it interesting for the whole song......then again if the song is so politically charged, you might not ever have to think about reaching the last verse before a riot or mob leave the show to overthrow the government :twisted:

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

What a passionate song. I like it. And I don't think there was ever a prohibition on political song, just in political gainsaying. I mean if someone wanted to write the opposing point of view in a song, more power to 'em. I do like what you are saying about the lack of majority, heck here in the US winning by under a thousand votes somehow gives you a "mandate". The people have spoken and 50% of them think you're an idiot is the only mandate I see. It would be nice if you could work that in.

Have you sung this? I think a couple of the lines might be dicey syllabically.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Have you sung this? I think a couple of the lines might be dicey syllabically.

Finally got around to putting some music to this tonight. Yep, some of the lines have had to be adjusted - it's about the ONLY song I've written in the last 7 years or so where I didn't have a clue where I was going musically. Normally I have an idea of melody, and I can hear the song in my mind's ear....but this was written more as a poem that I was hearing to a certain rhythm.

Musically, I liked Blind Kiwi's "Billy Bragg" suggestion - but I can't quite get to grips with BB's style. Love him to bits, was thinking of "Between The Wars" for inspiration - but the music I ended up with sounded like half Oasis, half Dylan. Groan here if you must....

Just a matter of messing around with strumming patterns now, see if - for once - I can come up with something that doesn't sound derivative. Although I've got a funny feeling it's going to end up more Dylan than Billy Bragg....now where did I put those harmonicas? Or should that be harmonicae?

Also, I was thinking of combining this song with "Shipyard Blues" from a few weeks back - it'd be a heck of a long song, and it'd be ramming the point home, and it would be a MAJOR undertaking to fit them both together - but I'm starting to think big again. Maybe a shorter medley of the two songs might work, they're pretty close subject matter wise. Fingers are working well again, brain's sort of working again, I'm coming up with some nice (and slightly unusual) chords and melodies, all in all looking in good shape. Just have to actually get recording again.....

Tuesday night - the Marilyn's bingo night. I'll have about 4 hours to mess around.....it's about time I got at least a rough demo of a song done. It's been a while.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I finally got an MP3 done. At 1:30 AM. Bet the neighbours were happy - but as I said a while back, "Screw The Neighbours!"

Apologies for sound quality, but this is just a rough demo - I have every intention of re-recording this in the next few weeks as soon as I've got to grips with the Zoom MRS-8 mixer/recorder.

MP3 can be found at http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10801210

Oh, and - PARENTAL ADVISORY - some bad language right at the end.

Vic

ReplyQuote