Clear all

AWOL

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm going to be offline for a week or so, I have to go to England. My mother died on the same day as Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett and I have to go and sort her affairs out as well as attend the funeral.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 03/07/2009 5:47 pm
(@davidhodge)

Our condolences, Graham.

It goes without saying that you should take all the time you want or need and don't think twice about Guitar Noise. We'll keep you in our hearts and thouughts and be here for whatever support you may need.

Our best to all your family, too.

Peace

Posted : 03/07/2009 6:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, my condolences as well. Have a safe trip.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/07/2009 7:09 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry for your loss, Graham. Your mother must have lived to a good age, though - may she rest in peace.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/07/2009 10:36 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

So sorry to hear of your loss, Graham. Take care.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 04/07/2009 1:30 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thank you for your kind words.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 04/07/2009 1:39 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Our condolences. Take all the time you need. Family is always first.

Dan and Laura

Posted : 04/07/2009 11:36 pm
(@alangreen)

Hope it all goes ok mate.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 05/07/2009 5:23 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

So sorry Graham. I'm half a world away but if there is anything I can do all you have to do is ask.

Posted : 05/07/2009 11:43 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry to hear it, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/07/2009 6:39 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm back from England. Still trying to get to grips with my mother dying - made worse by the possibility that there may have been something done to avoid her death. We don't have all the facts, yet, but it looks as if she went to hospital for treatment and was sent home, where she died without even getting her coat off.

My wife and I spent the week clearing out the house, where she lived for close to 60 years. You cannot imagine the things that collect! I, now, have of the job of sorting out photos of 4 or 5 generations of my mothers' and fathers' families and adding it all to my family tree.

I also have a pile of documents and photos of my parents, during their archery years. My father was a qualified coach and my mother was a master bowman, who shot for Yorkshire on a number of occasions (she was also general secretary of the Yorkshire Archery Association). I have been asked to put these together, for historical purposes.

Although I have kept many memorabilia of her, it's not those things that affect me - it's the memories, mostly of little things, that bring the tears. Funny thing is, that the memories are of a younger person, in, perhaps, a happier time, when illness didn't slow her down.

Oddly, when my father died, my mother swore that she could feel his presence, in the house, for a week. I'm certain that her presence was in the house for several days after she died - my wife mentioned that she'd felt it, as well.

It's at times like these that your own mortality becomes so very clear.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 13/07/2009 1:52 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I think you're absolutely right, Graham. It didn't happen so much when my father died, but when my mother died, I felt her around me for quite a while and still do occasionally. The same thing with my older sister when she died, I definitely felt her around me as well. It's rather comforting, I think.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/07/2009 9:17 pm