Clear all

Dealing with Derekslide

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

David and I have been talking about the friend and foe feature and how unfortunate that is and trying to come up with a strategy to deal with Derekslide. I'm cutting and pasting here from what I sent to David for you all to read.

What is disturbing about Derek is that he is single-handedly unwrapping the fabric of Guitarnoise, yet I can't find a reason to boot him. Maybe I'm getting too soft in my old age.

In every cloud though a silver lining. Here is the beautiful part you should consider. Our members mirrored the moderators almost exactly. Their reaction to Derekslide was overwhelmingly positive at first. Then they patiently tried to help even though they figured out he never listens. Then they got frustrated just like us. The reason we are where we are now is our members want to preserve the Guitarnoise mystique and ethos exactly as it is and are acting like antibodies trying to eject the foreign body. They see the frustration he causes and want to protect the board.

I know we all posted about him not listening, but he gave me nightmares. What scared me is that he could alienate the people who bend over backwards to help newbies so much that they would stop trying to help other newbies. I hope my fear is unfounded. I think our members are made of stronger stuff.

The necessity of the function called friend and foe is unfortunate, (though it was always there), but it gives our users a method for ignoring Derek and directing their energies at any other newbie that comes along. I'm not worried about the board turning cliquish. It won't.

So these are my instructions to you the moderating team:

Watch Derek closely, re-direct when possible, PM and sooth the frustrated masses and politely ask them not to let it get under their skin, lock topics, delete off topic posts, use Electric Ladyland judiciously and finally, do not chastise Derek on the boards. That public correction just makes it seem like it's okay for other members to do the same.

I am not suggesting we have some kind of secret derekslide jihad. I just want to preserve the peace and make him play by the same rules as everyone else. I don't want any one member to drive away other members.

Posted : 07/08/2008 11:30 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Nick.

On occasion, we might use the merge topics function to fuse repetitive posts as well. That might eventually discourage that bad habit.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 07/08/2008 11:33 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

that's a good idea

Posted : 07/08/2008 11:36 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a plan.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 07/08/2008 12:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Will do! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/08/2008 5:51 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Got it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 07/08/2008 6:49 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks team!

Posted : 07/08/2008 8:00 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Thanks team!
Sure, dude.....or is that "gang"? :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 07/08/2008 8:10 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Gangsta dudes maybe?

Hey, I don't want to jinx it, but does DSlide appear to be behaving better?

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 08/08/2008 9:10 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Gangsta dudes maybe?

Hey, I don't want to jinx it, but does DSlide appear to be behaving better?

Tim
Chastened, maybe, but "better", I don't know.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:03 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Can a leopard change his spots? Or an Ethiopian his skin?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:23 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Derek sent me a couple of PMs yesterday asking advice about posting a song in Hear Here.

He does seem very subdued and courteous as well. Hey, maybe he's learned a lesson??

Time will tell.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:53 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

He seems a bit quieter, and a lot calmer - perhaps the "kid-with-a-new-toy" syndrome is beginning to wear off a little?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:57 pm