Clear all

DerekSlide

108 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DerekSlide is an interesting character. Very enthusiastic newbie, but very mercurial. He's raving madly one day about how great something is, then the next day it sucks. Asks lots of questions in ways that make it hard to tell what he's asking. Someone asked about slides for changing between sliding and free fretting a while back, and I told about my Jet Slide, which I said isn't one I'd use for my main slide, but works well for the quick change thing and is well made. Derek jumped on ordering one, then along came someone else saying he didn't like the JetSlide. Derek jumped on me like I'd badly misled him into spending his money. I pointed out that I'd said just what I'd said, qualified praise for the device in its specific niche. When he got it he had some problems getting used to it, wasn't at all sure he liked it, and I said that any piece of gear takes learning the proper use. He posted right back that he'd already learned how and it was marvelous. (That may have been over on Big Road Blues, which he's on, too.) Then someone else posted that they didn't like it and Derek posted that he didn't like it either and that led to the Diamond slide recommendation. He bought a Republic tricone reso at someone's recommendation, raved about it, posted several messages about how marvelously he was playing it, then posted a short video of a couple of seconds of him sliding more or less up to the third and fifth frets and asked if any of us would like to try our hands at his song! Then he posted that he didn't like his reso because it made his leg go numb and he couldn't make it sound good. Then how his teacher tried it, loved it and played it for 10 minutes, so it's great again. Asked about having a dragon engraved on it at one point. He'll whine about not having any money, then he'll suddenly make a big purchase on impulse. I'm being careful about answering him and recommending things. He's too fickle. He won't have any credibility if he decides after a while that his Diamond slide doesn't suit him, though! (He'd complained that all he had was $27, and wanted to know what kind of slide he could get for $27 shipped. Ian McWee, the owner of Diamond, E-mailed me that he was having trouble logging on and could I get a message to Derek that he'd fix him up with a very nice Redhouse slide for $27 shipped. When Derek heard that he could get a nicer one for his proclaimed limit than the lower end one he'd asked about, he suddenly decided he wanted a $70 Ultimate made to his custom specs with his name engraved on it, and Ian accommodated him.)

Sometimes he makes me remember Walters, but Walters always worded his questions clearly, at least. And Derek does read the replies he gets, which I don't think Walters did.

He says he's making a blues pilgrimage to the Delta this fall. Said he'd come by here so we could jam. I'm quite sure I'm going to be too busy then, though! I hope the Delta folks don't kill him! (If he goes.)

He's not disruptive on the boards, malicious or anything, but do try to be discreet in dealing with him. He has issues.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 11/06/2008 2:47 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

He has issues.
Amen, to that. He comes across like Mikespe on caffein - a LOT of caffein!.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 16/06/2008 6:10 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Guess you saw where he was wanting to sell his Republic tricone. After all the bragging about how much he's played it, now it's been played less than an hour and is perfect. :lol:

Posted : 16/06/2008 5:29 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

:lol: I got a 89 Strat with just under 1000 hours use :twisted: Almost new :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 16/06/2008 6:22 pm
(@alangreen)

Swap it for my brand new 1977 Eko Ranger 12-string? Methinks not.

Yep, saw his "For Sale" ad, and the thread about how much did we think it might be worth.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 16/06/2008 8:37 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Feeling a little uncharitable, I was barely able to talk myself out of a couple of acid comments about our mutual friend, derekslide. I wondered who it was that wipes his backside as he seems to have difficulties in the DIY dept.

However, his latest reply is a gem:
"Old Friend" appears (from all the tab on the 'net) to be in open C tuning (CGCGCE). A capo at the 2nd fret would give you open D. Tune to open C and take your pick.Whats a pick?

I'm going to finger style it.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 18/06/2008 11:59 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

LOL!

At least he's quit calling fingerpicking "Chicken Pickin'."

Posted : 18/06/2008 12:11 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

LOL!

At least he's quit calling fingerpicking "Chicken Pickin'."
Yes, we do have to be thankful for small mercies..... :D :D

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 18/06/2008 12:20 pm
(@davidhodge)

It helps if you simply think of him as the latest in a (very long) line of poster children for the old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

Peace

Posted : 18/06/2008 4:42 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Can anyone spell "Rahul"?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 18/06/2008 8:13 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DS is one weird dude! Oops, I forgot he doesn't want me to ever call him "dude."

Posted : 18/06/2008 8:16 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

He reminds me of............

cue the spooky music.........

:evil: STAIND :evil:

Posted : 18/06/2008 10:23 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

He reminds me of............

cue the spooky music.........

:evil: STAIND :evil:

Oh the torture never stops :twisted: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 18/06/2008 10:59 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Uh-oh, Dagwood just called him "Dude" twice.

Posted : 19/06/2008 5:24 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Didn't we once impose a limit on the number of posts Rahul could make? Could we possibly do the same for DerekSlide? He posts about everything and everywhere. According to the stats, he averages just over 8 posts a day. That means there are probably days when he must have 10 posts or better. sigh....

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 28/06/2008 6:02 pm
Page 1 / 8