Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

DerekSlide

108 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)

Yes, I remember we limited Rahul to 6 posts a day or something like it.

Lots of members do lots of posts early on then tail off. Maybe Derekslide will just fade away into the sunset.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 28/06/2008 7:04 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Who knew he could come out with good advice? He told someone with a "dead bass" with active pickups to check the 9V battery! :o

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/07/2008 12:56 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I remember we limited Rahul to 6 posts a day or something like it.

Lots of members do lots of posts early on then tail off. Maybe Derekslide will just fade away into the sunset.
I have the feeling that he will be the opposite. Every triumph and every setback will be shared with the GN community.

I have the feeling that his personal circumstances may well be very similar to those of mikespe.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/07/2008 3:25 pm
(@davidhodge)

Derek still can't read. In the original post the person with the dead bass says that he changed the batteries (even though they weren't all that old) with brand new ones.

Derek's a classic example of what the Internet is turning people into. I don't know if any of you ever read Bob Green's columns. He was syndicated out of the Chicago Tribune from the seventies into this century. Basically they could be summed up in the following manner (courtesy of a comedy group send-up doing what they called the "Bob Green Fan Club Oath")

I solemnly swear to make all important matters trivial and to make all trivial matters important. More importantly, I will discuss all matters, whether trivial or important, only as they relate to me and will do everything in my power to make everything relate to me.

We're actually a lot better at real virtual conversations here at Guitar Noise than at other places, but still more than half of anyone's communications (this one included! :wink: ) can usually be broken down into "this is what works for me, therefore it's advice."

Anyway, time for me to check to see if Derek has posted about checking up on the delivery status of his slide. I know it's eveil, but does anyone want to post bets on how long it takes him to post that he's not sure he should have bought it because it doesn't work as well as he thought it would?

Peace

Posted : 08/07/2008 3:26 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Remember Ryan's nemesis from years ago who really just wanted Ryan to hop on a plane, fly out to meet him and play for him?

Posted : 08/07/2008 3:45 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Anyway, time for me to check to see if Derek has posted about checking up on the delivery status of his slide. I know it's evil, but does anyone want to post bets on how long it takes him to post that he's not sure he should have bought it because it doesn't work as well as he thought it would?
I've been expecting that from the start. Look how he's gone back and forth about his Republic tricone (those have a mighty good online reputation with lots of vocal fans.) One moment he's bragging about it, then he's fussing that it puts his leg to sleep, it won't sound good, and he's selling it. Then he's bragging about it again.

One thing, if he doesn't like that Diamond slide, having "Blind Lemon Robinson" engraved on the side won't enhance its resale value.

Ian McWee of Diamond is a good friend of mine, and I've talked to him off the board about his dealings with Derek. He was as crazy as you could imagine about making wild demands and thinking he was going to get it for the original low price he said he could afford, and for which Ian was going to cut him a special deal on a Redhouse bottleneck. Ian said he had to educate him on what could be done and the trade price for a custom Ultimate with the features he wanted. But Ian's very diplomatic, and so far Derek's still singing his praises. Over on Big Road Blues he's put Frank of Republic Guitars down for refusing to answer his E-mails. Funny thing, nobody else seems to have that problem with Frank!

Posted : 08/07/2008 11:11 pm
(@davidhodge)

Have we done a review on Diamond? If not, would you be up for it?

Peace

Posted : 08/07/2008 11:49 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I could do one. It would be a very favorable one. I don't think you can do better for glass slides.

Posted : 09/07/2008 1:23 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One thing, if he doesn't like that Diamond slide, having "Blind Lemon Robinson" engraved on the side won't enhance its resale value.
He's going to have to be pretty careful about how he uses it - that engraving will cause all sorts of noise on the strings.

I was sorely tempted to tell him how good the "Blind Melon" engraving looked ........... :D

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 09/07/2008 6:47 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, apparently Ian wanted Derek to say that it was a one of a kind slide. :lol:

He did tell Derek that he could get tons of sustain with the engraved side, which is true, but it'll sound like a saw.

Posted : 09/07/2008 1:29 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I solemnly swear to make all important matters trivial and to make all trivial matters important. More importantly, I will discuss all matters, whether trivial or important, only as they relate to me and will do everything in my power to make everything relate to me.

Boy, that describes Derekslide perfectly, he posted today to say he played well this morning (or was it bad?). Doesn't matter, his next post always says the opposite of his first. :D

He does remind me of Mikespe, but I actually liked Mike, he provoked conversation. I mean, when he built a pedalboard, that was some pedalboard! :shock:

Derekslide will probably post that he clipped his nails today and it affected his fingerpicking. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 09/07/2008 7:42 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

David, that was a very diplomatic reply to DS. He seems to keep throwing out these musical terms and what he's going to do with them - followed by a "By the way, what is a....."?
Alan will, no doubt, remember "What's a demonstwation, Bawwy?" :D

Today, he excelled himself. Metallicaman asked what to do with his Carvin amp:
"1. Sell The Carvin on Ebay without speakers
2. Sell the Carvin on Ebay after new OEM Speakers installed
3. Keep the carvin & install speakers"

DS replied "Ditto to #1 & #3". I'm not sure what the "ditto" referred to , but #1 AND #3 ???

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 13/07/2008 7:32 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I like the good Mikespe, it was his evil twin I couldn't stand. That's what made his departure a hard one. We kept trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. DS on the other hand seems to be half of the movie "Dumb and Dumberer" and I'm not sure which half...

Has he posted anything substantive?

or perhaps more to the point...

Once he improves, years from now, will he contribute anything back to the GN community?

Posted : 13/07/2008 10:44 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Something's not quite right about that boy, I don't know exactly what. He posted today that he's getting ready to leave home for the very first time, and he posted a reference a few days ago to some music he heard when he was 13 that would put him in his early 40s if it was coming out when he heard it.

Posted : 14/07/2008 2:04 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Something's not quite right about that boy, I don't know exactly what. He posted today that he's getting ready to leave home for the very first time, and he posted a reference a few days ago to some music he heard when he was 13 that would put him in his early 40s if it was coming out when he heard it.
There's certainly something very obsessive about him (witness the Derek Trucks obsession).
He also has a short fuse, just like Mikespe. Pab posted a comment about DS's post count (614 in 2 months) and that he ought to leave some time for practice (followed by a smiley). DS lost his cool and sent a barrage in pab's direction - which he later edited, presumably to soften it a little.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 14/07/2008 5:35 am
Page 2 / 8